Six

I'm so nervous to meet the dark Lord I can't breathe. My palms are sweating and my heart's beating fast. What if he's a bad man? What if I made a mistake and I never see my family again? Will he hurt me?

Walking with the dark prince down the corridor, I whispered, "What have I gotten myself into."

The dark prince Nell sniffed, "Maybe you should've asked yourself that before coming here."

How brazen is he! "How dare you!" I hissed at him. "I'm trying to mend our kingdoms rift."

"And the fact that you're second eldest with a wedded sister to adopt the throne has nothing to do with it."

Tears came to my eyes and my lip trembled. I shouldn't let him see me like this. I must look weak. "You don't have to be so mean."

"I'm only trying to prepare you." He straightened. "If you think I'm rough, you won't be able to handle my brother."

I can handle anything. And I told him that.

He laughed. "You're already in tears and you think you can handle the dark Lord? I'm only joking."

"Maybe you take jokes too far."

"Maybe you should get a sense of humor."

"Maybe you should get a girlfriend to tame you-" I stopped. Blushed. Those words actually came out of my mouth!

He stopped. Looked at me. Smiled. Cocked his head. "You know anybody?"

I blushed fiercer, turning away and unable to look at him. "No. Maybe that was mean."

"I've never had a girlfriend who could handle me. I'm too sarcastic."

"Is that so?" I smirked

"Nope." He posed. "They just like me for my body.

I laughed. "Maybe your humor isn't that bad, but you shouldn't be so mean. Maybe you just scare them off."

"Maybe you scare of your boyfriend's."

"I've never had-" I stopped again. These things just keep flying out of my mouth! What's wrong with me? Oh, I can't think straight. That's it! The dark prince Nell is distracting me. He's no good this one. He's a troublemaker for sure, and if I'm not careful he'll get me trapped. I can't fall in love. I need to focus on his brother.

He didn't let it go. "Are you...a virgin?"

Of course I am. A future king can't marry someone who might possibly bear another man's child. Guys are possessive like that. And virgins being so pure are like a delicacy. I shouldn't have even said anything. Now I might be in trouble.

The dark prince is looking at me in a different way now. Is he...could he be jealous?

"A princess doesn't talk about such things." I smoothes my skirts and marched on ahead.

Whatever waited for me in the dark room would be less scary than the feeling I get around the dark prince Nell. Is this love?