Fourteen

What does he know? Wait, how does he know that I sing? Has Nell the dark prince been watching me?

It's been another morning ritual of mine to sing early in the morning. It's a freeing experience, and sometimes does draw woodland creatures. Part of being a member of the light kingdom is that everything is bright and happy and worry free. But the thought of someone watching me disturbs me...fiercely.

I keep my songs to myself, shuddering as I continue through the trees. Trees talking, what could he mean by that? There's nothing out here but the wind.

And then I hear it. My name. It's no more than a breathy whisper in the distance, but it chills me to the bone. I look up into the branches. Nothing happens. Another breeze.

"Opal..."

I spun around. This had to be a joke. "It's not funny Nell! Stop trying to scare me."

But he didn't come out from anywhere, and I hear my name a third time. It's louder, still no more than a whisper. "Wait until your brother hears about you tormenting me!" I yelled. "Come out now and I won't say anything!"

Nell is nowhere in sight. I hear an accompanying whisper this time, layered under the one whispering my name, "Over here..."

My eyes flit to a distant path from where I heard it ushering. Branches seemed to part way, and a beam of sunlight poured into the floor of the forest. It was a comfort somehow. I immediately started toward it. There had to be the way out. I was all turned around and lost

As soon as I stepped into the light however it vanished. Nothing but darkness in it's place. I turned to go back but found myself even more lost than before. More whispering, and I was sure this place was haunted. I wanted to cry. I'd been a fool to wander into the dark forest. Especially alone and after the dark prince warned me of it's foreboding.

"Help me!" I cried out. The whispers turned to snickering. The trees ruffled, seeming to shake from jovial laughter at my misfortune. What am I to do?

Another beam of light shine and I had no other option but to follow it. It led me to another path, twisted and darker than the first. Branches closed in on me and thorns grabbed at my skin, leaving blood to trickle over my pale arms. The air grew cold, even colder than winter. I could see my breath in a frosty cloud. Darkness envelopede, and sleep threatenedto overtake me. I sat on a log far from where I'd started, crying to myself at what a fool I'd been.

How am I ever to get back?