xii

-_-_-

(words: 1.587)

-_-_-

Liam's heart began to beat a bit more rapid than usual. His palms were sweaty and sticky as he walked down the hallway of the 15th floor. He causally greeted people with a wave or a smile, trying to hide his nervousness behind his pearly white teeth.

The moment his secretary had walked in to his office, telling him that Dean Philips, president of the company, needed to have a very important conversation with him in half an hour. Liam smiled and nodded at her, but by the time she was closing the door, he banged his head violently on his desk. This can't be the end, not yet. He's been doing good, he's on track. Zayn is not distracting him as much as before.

Goodness, Payne. He thought. Why must you be so cynical? It's not like Mr. Philips is planning on firing him. Right?

He shook his head as he made it closer and closer to Dean's hard wood door. A very nice label in big letters: President - Dean H. Philips. He takes a breath before knocking and awaiting for Dean's approval of letting him walk in.

But instead of a deep voice telling him to enter, the door is swinging open and Dean is standing there with a smile. "Liam!" He exclaims happily and pats his shoulder.

Liam laughs nervously, not really sure why Dean's so happy. It's not like he isn't a happy man. He isn't one of those grumpy old boss' that seem to make everyone's life a living hell, he's a joyful one full of laughter. There were times where he would become strict, but it was for business purposes and that was completely acceptable.

But he's pulling Liam in to a hug and he awkwardly hugs back. Dean pulls away and sighs happily, patting Liam's cheeks. "You remind me so much of your father." He randomly says and Liam just smiles back. "Come in, come in!" He says pulling him in and closing the door. He pulls out a chair for Liam and gestures him to sit. Liam nods as a 'thank you'.

Dean sits down on his seat, resting his elbows on his the mahogany desk. He stares at Liam with a proud smile until he gets sort of creeped-out. Liam clears his throat. "You need to speak to me?"

Mr. Philips nods, before speaking. "Remember when I had told you that you were going to be a big and successful man one day?" He asks.

Liam chuckles and nods. "Well, sir. That was over sixteen years ago but I have seemed to have that memory carved in to my brain."

Dean nods, sitting back on his chair. "Well, we've got big and successful checked out. But I've got to tell you something that might even add on to the successful part." He pulls out a packet of cigarettes from his desk, casually picking one out and lighting it. "You see, Liam; ever since I had met your father when we were young lads, I had known that he was a responsible man without any possible problems that could slow him down." He puts the cylindrical object in his mouth, inhaling the smoke and exhaling it afterwards. "I knew that the day he would have kids was the day a new determined and responsible leader would enter the world. That leader happens to be you-" He points at him. "-Liam."

"Just looking at you brings me a large amount of proudness and gratitude because without you, this company would've been a complete wreck." He says, his expression saddening. "So that's why I have decided to retire next year and hand the company over to you."

Liam's eyes widen. "B-But sir, I thought you could've lasted another five years or so. Why so early?" He was so surprised and grateful to what Dean had just said about him. He has learned to look upon him as a second father, an amazing example and he wanted to be just like him when he would meet his age. But Liam wasn't ready to take over the company. At least, not ready yet.