F O U R.

[ Chapter Four—pose for your mugshot ]

 "Prepare for landing," the captain of the small plane spoke over the intercom

I had been flying all day. The first flight was from Phoenix to one of the International airports in Maine; Portland International Jetport. That flight in itself was over six hours, luckily I had been able to sleep for over half of it. The other half was spent binge-watching Netflix.

Once I had landed in Portland, Maine, there was another flight to catch. Portland was on the opposite side of Main to where the Cullens lived in Fort Fairfield, meaning it was a four-hour drive from Portland Jetport to where they lived. Therefore, I had a connecting flight that was just under forty-five minutes from Portland to the closest airport to Fort Fairfield, which was Presque Isle International.

We were now landing.

Looking out the window, I tilted my head at all the green. Even in Flagstaff, though it was woodsy up there, it was also still Arizona. Maine was covered in many forests and seemed as though it was cloudy most of the time, based on the seemingly permanent rain clouds the plane was forced to go through.

The change in voice dialect was also nice. Because Maine was bordering Canada, people spoke with a slight Canadian accent. It seemed that most states which bordered Canada had that type of dialect.

The plane gave a small bout of turbulence as we descended, the runway becoming visible from out the window. I had not been on a plane since Bella's wedding when I was four; however, my experience today on the two planes had been awesome.

Most people complained about flying, but realistically the only complaint I had was the loud noise of the engines which was increased because of my hearing. Other than that, I did not get motion sickness easily so the bumpiness was not a problem. In fact, the rocking movement of the plane actually helped me sleep, plus binge-watching Netflix for a few hours was not too shabby either.

In all honesty, it was like six hours of relaxing.

Then again, the fact that the Cullens had bought me first-class tickets probably helped.

I thought back for the millionth time to make sure I had locked the entire house up. The keys were with me, the alarm was armed, all the doors were locked, and the garage was closed with my car inside. I did not want my car sitting at the airport all summer long so I brought in the garage and simply caught an uber to the airport this morning.

All the food that would spoil was in the dumpster and air conditioning was turned at a temperature that would make the bills extremely cheap the rest of summer. No point in using the air conditioning if no one was even home after all.

Nodding, I finally forced myself to relax about it. I quickly placed my AirPods in my ear, allowing the flow of music to gently take over the sound of the plane engine.