F O U R T E E N.

[ Chapter Fourteen—Aro of the Volturi ]

Slowly, the inky black nothingness crept away and I was left gasping on the ground. It was overwhelming—the feeling of being at peace only to be exposed to the harshness of reality.

Groaning, I rolled over, my eyes squinted as my pupils readjusted themselves to the brightness of the world. After moments of squabbling about, I was finally able to pull myself together and sat up.

The ground was covered by a huge rug alike to the previous room I was in, and I had no doubts that cold stone laid underneath. I furrowed my brows when I saw that I was in between two towering bookshelves.

Okay, let me say this, the only library I have been to was the one on campus at my high school and the university library. Both of those instances were times that I can count on a single hand, Drake was the one who always stopped by the library for me.

Even then, neither the crummy high school library or the slightly better university library had anything against the gargantuan library that I found myself trapped in. Just the shelves alone were two stories high, and I found myself wondering how they got the books from the top shelf down.

Slowly but surely, I made my way to the end of the shelves and found myself met with the sight of many other hallways of towering bookshelves. There was a staircase that appeared to go up to four stories, the fact that this library was four stories high was daunting.

Frowning, I continued to wander around the library, catching sight of many desks, couches, and other seating areas. It was only after I determined that I was not on the first level of the library, but rather in a basement of sorts that I walked up the stairs.

Alike to what I had seen of the castle so far, there were no windows in the library leaving the entire thing to be lit by chandeliers. It was because of this that the library had a dim and slightly creepy vibe to it, perfect setting for the Volturi.

Walking around the new level, I rolled my eyes when I saw it was mostly the same as the previous level. The only difference was that there was a large area of shelves that housed scribes rather than actual books. It was this that once again reminded me of just how old the vampires in this coven were.

My shoes made little noise as I walked along the carpet, trying to remember the events which even led me here in the first place. So Caius and I brawled, Caius pussied out and ran, I had another mental breakdown, and then... fucking Alec.

I huffed in frustration, looking for an exit but once again coming up empty-handed. What the hell? Who even needed all these books when there was the internet anyway?

It was only as I growled and turned another corner that I found another desk area. Except for this time, there was someone sitting at the desk.

Long raven hair that was half tied back, pristine black suit, papery skin.

Aro Volturi sat with a large book in his grasp, his bloody eyes focused on the pages. I froze, looking behind me and debating whether or not I should turn around.

I had barely taken one step back before Aro was calling me out, "please," he motioned to the chair across from him without looking up from his book, "take a seat."

"Hmm," I nodded, deciding that I probably would not be finding the way out without him anyway.

Walking over, I pulled the chair out from the table and sat down across the vampire senior. Leaning back in my chair, I pulled my legs to my chest watching as Aro did not take his gaze off the book and continued reading.