Chapter 1

"You've got to be kidding me!" Jean cried studying the piece of paper placed in the center of his table in the mess hall. Cabin mates had been switched today and now he was being thrust into a totally new environment with people he probably didn't even know. He scanned the paper which had names neatly written in the commander, Keith Shadis's handwriting. He was rooming with Connie Springer, Thomas Wagner, Eren Jaeger, Bertholdt Hoover, and Marco Bodt.

"As you can see, you have been switched to different cabins with new cadets. This is not to inconvenience you but to get you to know your fellow soldiers. It is vital to get along with your fellow cadets so that you will have backup in battle. I want you all to find your new cabin mates and sit with them so you get to know them better," Keith Shadis's voice boomed across the mess hall. "You may move now!" He said, signaling for the cadets to sit with their new cabinmates.

Jean reluctantly got up and found his group. He was fairly close with most of them though he didn't think he'd ever met Thomas before. He sat down next to who he assumed what Thomas since he looked unfamiliar. He had short blond hair and dark brown eyes.

"Hey," Thomas said, throwing Jean a shy smile before going back to his meal. Eren glared at him from across the table, his sea-green eyes glinting with hatred. Jean already knew that things were not going to go well. Connie was in an animated conversation with who he assumed was Marco. Bertholdt sat next to Eren and began eating without saying a word.

"Oh! I didn't notice you there! You must be Jean. I'm Marco! Nice to meet you!" Marco said suddenly, holding his hand out in front of him. His freckles danced across his cheeks and his dark brown eyes sparkled cheerfully. Jean stared at his outstretched hand and then looked directly into Marco's eyes.

"I'm not shaking your hand," Jean said coldly.

"Sorry," Marco said, quickly putting his hand to his side looking embarrassed. He quickly recovered and went back to his conversation with Connie.

"Hey guys, I think we should talk about who's going to share a bed with who," Thomas suggested.

"Good idea," Eren said. "I know right off the bat that I'm not sharing a bed with Connie. He wets the bed," Eren added.

"I do not!" Connie protested, his face turning a light shade of pink causing Marco to chuckle. "This isn't funny!"

"I'll share a bed with Connie," Thomas said, offering Connie a smile.

"Now that we got Connie and Thomas out of the way, who do you want to room with Bert?" Eren asked. Bertholdt snapped out of whatever trance he was in and began to fidget in his seat.

"It doesn't matter to me," Bertholdt said quietly.

"Alright. Bert, you're sharing with me. Jean, Marco, you're sharing together," Eren stated.

"I'm not sharing a bed with goody-two-shoes over here!" Jean yelled, glaring at Marco. "Being nice is going to get you nowhere except killed!" Marco crossed his arms glaring right back at him.

"I don't think it's very nice for you to yell at me right after we just met," Marco said, his eyes glittering mischievously. "I could feed you to the titans if I wanted to." Jean stood up, pretending to walk away. He snuck up behind Marco and grabbed him by the back of his shirt and pulled him off the bench he was sitting on. Marco hit the floor with a thud. He rubbed his elbow gently as he sat up.

"Was that necessary?" Marco asked calmly.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Jean yelled, looking down at Marco with hatred. "Know your place! I'm more experienced than you! Treat me with respect!" A small smirk crossed Marco's face for a moment before it faded away.

"Okay, sir," Marco said, faking being polite. "You barely know me and yet you're being such a jerk. You won't make it into the Military Police with an attitude like that."

"I'll break your neck if you keep talking like that!" Jean yelled, his anger reaching a boiling point. He was about to hit Marco when Keith barged into the room.

"WHAT'S ALL THIS NOISE I'M HEARING!?" Keith shouted, his voice echoing off the walls of the mess hall. The room went quiet, everyone cautiously turning their heads in Jean's direction.

"Sasha let out a large fart sir. That's what you were hearing," Mikasa said. Keith glared at Sasha with disgust before walking out of the mess hall. Everyone continued to stare at Jean who was holding Marco by the front of his shirt.

"Mikasa! Don't say things like that!" Sasha cried, her face turning beet red from embarrassment.

"Go on," Marco said calmly. "Hit me."

"Guys, let's break it up," Bertholdt said, taking Jean's wrist and prying it away from the front of Marco's shirt. Eren was looking down at the scene, his head propped up on his hands, clearly enjoying watching it unfold. Connie kept stealing glances at Thomas who looked just as nervous as he did.

"Fine," Jean sighed, turning away. As soon as Marco started standing up, he spun around and kicked Marco in the stomach. Marco stumbled backward, hitting the back of his leg against the bench. He doubled over, momentarily out of breath. Once he caught his breath, he threw his food away and stalked out of the mess hall.

"Jean, was that really necessa-" Thomas cut himself off once he got a glowering look from Jean.

A/N: I wrote this on a Google Doc so the chapters might end at weird spots. I'll try my best to make the chapters end as smoothly as possible :)