Chapter 16

"Do we have to hurt Jean?" Moblit asked his eyes filled with concern. "If we accidentally kill him or injure him so much he has to drop out of the Survey Corps Marco will go berserk," Moblit tried to reason with Erwin.

"I'll start with Marco first and if it doesn't work I'll have to resort to hurting Jean," Erwin dismissed, ending the conversation.

Marco had healed by the morning and raced up the stairs to the part of headquarters where they had cut him out of his titan. Jean had slept in and he decided not to bother him. When he arrived, Hanji was waiting for him.

"Good morning Marco!" Hanji said excitedly. "Today I want to talk you through the experiments I'll be doing. First, I want to check your pain tolerance and healing in your human form. Then, I want to move on to doing some experiments on you that I've done with normal titans before. Of course, we might have to do the second part of the experiment tomorrow depending on how you do with the first one." Marco nodded accepting what he had to do. "How about you go stand over there," Hanji instructed, pointing father back on the field. Marco walked over and stood where she had pointed, waiting patiently for her to begin.

It would be a lie if he said that he wasn't nervous about what Hanji was going to do but he knew it had to be done in order for him to be of any help. "This is going to hurt," Hanji warned as she held a sharp knife in her right hand.

Marco gulped but didn't object. Hanji pulled back the knife, stabbing him in the chest. He gasped in pain but otherwise didn't have any other reaction. Hanji pulled the knife out and watched as the stab wound quickly healed. She began to stab Marco over and over again, his body barely able to heal itself quickly enough to keep up with her. He caught Hanji's arm just as she was about to stab him again, the blade hovering a few inches above his chest.

"That's enough," Marco said sternly, tossing the knife aside.

"So you can be mean. I like it," Hanji said with a smile. "But I'm not done yet."

Marco sat on the ground as Hanji had instructed, biting his lip as Hanji cut off his fingers and watched them grow back. He wished he didn't heal so fast so that this could all be over with. The sound of the knife, the blood, the unbearable pain. Marco felt as if he would go insane at any moment but he needed to keep himself together. This was necessary.

Hanji moved on to cutting off his hands. The chopping of the knife. The blood spilling from where his hands should be. The stinging, burning pain. The steam as his hands grew back just to be cut off again. Hanji whispered softly to him as she did it. As much as Marco wanted to hate her for doing this, he couldn't.

Hanji moved on to his arms. They didn't grow back as fast as his hands. It was the same process all over again. His arm had just grown back for the fourth time when he snapped. "ENOUGH! STOP IT!" He screamed.

"Okay. That's it for the day," Hanji dismissed him. Marco walked down the hallway, his body still aching from the experiment. He went back down into the dungeon to see Jean sitting in his cell waiting for him.

"How did it go?" Jean asked, trying not to look as concerned as he felt. Marco walked closer to him before collapsing into Jean's arms.