Chapter 10

Back at headquarters, Jean walked down the hallway to the back of the building where Hanji kept any titans she was able to capture. There was an open invitation from Hanji to see who the titan was. Not before she performed experiments on it of course. Hanji had caught titans before but Jean never went to watch her experiment on them. According to other scouts, things got strange. The only reason he was going today is because he wanted to know what the titan wanted with him.

Almost the entirety of the Survey Corps had attended today. It seems that the curiosity of whoever this titan was and what they wanted got the best of them. The titan was tied up in between two poles. Nails were driven through its hands and legs keeping it secured to the ground. It sat in silence, looking at the scouts nervously.

"Hello everyone! Thanks for attending! It means so much to me that all of you showed up!" Hanji announced, bouncing up and down with joy. "I want to test out this titans pain resistance and how fast it can heal before we do anything else," She added. This time, she really was drooling.

"Ugh...She's such a freak," A scout muttered under her breath.

Hanji picked up a large pole with a sharpened point. She pointed it at the titan and drove it into the titan's torso causing no reaction. She twisted the pole while it was still in the titan's torso and turned it slightly, a smirk crossing her face. "Doesn't it hurt?" She asked gently.

She gave up and pulled the pole out of its torso and stabbed it in the eye. The titan reached forward and tried to bite Hanji's head off. Hanji jumped back just in time, narrowly missing the titan's jaws. "You didn't like that, did you?" Hanji asked, reaching up and pulling the pole out of the titan's eye. Steam rose from its eye indicating that it was healing. It only took a couple of seconds for it to heal completely.

"You don't mind if I cut off your arm, right?" Hanji asked. "You can't use this one anyway," She added. She took one of the scout's blades and used it to cut off the titan's right arm. Hanji looked at it and waited. It didn't start steaming or show any signs that it was healing. "Strange..."

Hanji climbed up onto the titans back, her face making it clear that this was the part she was looking forward to the most. "If I miss this part..." She said, cutting a shallow spot on the titans back with the pole. "The person inside won't get injured but it'll still hurt. Let's see how this feels."

Everybody in the crowd seemed to be holding their breath, scared for Hanji's life. She stabbed the titan just outside its weak spot causing the titan to let out a blood-curdling scream. It threw Hanji off its back, luckily not giving her any injuries besides a few cuts and bruises. Hanji quickly stood up jumping for joy. "Now, the part you've all been waiting for!" She cried, as though she was a magician performing their final act. "We'll see who's in this titan!"

At that, the titan started screaming and thrashing around against its restraints. Everyone in the crowd covered their ears against the noise. Jean stepped forward, his legs reacting before the rest of him got a chance to comprehend what he was doing. The titan's eyes rested on him and it went quiet. The scouts slowly removed their hands from their ears, scared that the titan was going to start screaming again. Jean looked at the titan, disgusted of what he was going to do. He reached out and gently touched the titan's hand.

"You have two options. You can show us who you are on your own, or we cut you out. Take your pick. I promise if you come out peacefully I won't let anyone hurt you," Jean said gently, hoping his face didn't show the revulsion he was feeling.

Hanji was bouncing on the balls of her feet waiting to see the titan's decision. Jean kept his eyes locked with the titans not noticing the lump forming on the titan's nape. Jean heard a thud near where Hanji was standing and assumed the titan had decided. He peeked around the titan to see who had been trying to take him. He fanned the steam of the evaporating titan's body out of his eyes to try to get a clearer look.

The person's black hair was shorter than the titans and fell messily over his forehead. The right side of his face was scarred and a shade or two darker than his tan skin. The person seemed unconscious. "Marco...?" Jean asked quietly. After a moment he seemed to have made up his mind who it was and ran up to him, pulling him into a rib-breaking hug. Tears fell down his face in waterfalls. He held onto Marco like if he let go he would never get to see him again.