Chapter 17

"Woah!" Jean cried, caught off guard. "Marco, are you okay? Marco, talk to me!"

Marco began shaking violently in Jean's arms, tears streaming down his face. He didn't want to cry. He didn't want to be weak but he was in so much pain he couldn't stop himself. "I got you. It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay," Jean said soothingly, gently stroking Marco's hair.

Without warning, Marco started to laugh. It started off quietly but began to grow louder. Jean stared at Marco as insane laughter racked his body.

"Marco...?" Jean asked with concern. Marco gripped the front of Jean's shirt, his eyes wild.

"About what you said last night," Marco began. "Maybe I'm not human anymore. Because I feel more like a titan than a human. No one treats me like I'm human anymore. I'm just a monster," Marco said, insanity creeping into his voice.

Jean pried Marco's hands from his shirt and looked him straight in the eye. "You're not a monster. Don't you dare even say that" Jean's voice wavered. "Please tell me what they did to you," Marco explained what happened, hysteria taking over his voice. Jean started walking up the stairs that lead out of the dungeon when Marco grabbed his sleeve.

"Don't," Marco said, slipping back into his normal behavior. "It's fine."

"No! It's not fine! They can't use you like this!" Jean yelled. He was ready to beat the living daylights out of Hanji and the others for what they did to Marco. But what would beating them do? All it would do is get him kicked out of the scouts, leaving Marco on his own, or killed. Plus, nothing he did could take back the damage already dealt. 

"I'm just overreacting," Marco reasoned. "I'll be fine in the morning." Jean tried his best to believe what Marco said but he knew deep down that it was a lie.