Chapter 15

Marco woke up an hour later, his limbs just beginning to grow back. He glanced at his side and noticed his arm was missing. In a panic, he looked to his other side and saw his arm was missing there as well.

"Marco, calm down," Jean said as soothingly as possible. "Things got a little out of hand but don't worry. Both of you are fine."

"What happened?" Marco asked, seeming more concerned for Eren than himself.

"You both weren't able to get out of your titan's so Levi had to cut you out," Jean lied. He stared at the fading red grooves on his face that cut through his freckled cheeks. Marco nodded, seeming to understand. Jean leaned closer gently tracing the faint white scars that scattered the right side of his lips. "Hanji wants to experiment on you tomorrow if you're healed by then," Jean announced, still tracing the scars.

Marco nodded slightly. "I'm worried about you," Jean said suddenly. "I don't like how the Survey Corps is using you. They're not even treating you like you're human anymore. They're just treating you like you're there solely for their benefit." Jean stopped tracing Marco's scars and dug his nails into his forearm. "If you mess up... I-I just don't want to lose you again!" Jean yelled. "I can't!"

"You won't. Their intentions might seem suspicious to you right now but I'm sure they mean well," Marco said with a reassuring smile. "Now, it's been a long day. How about you get some rest?" Jean stared at Marco for a moment before returning to his cell for another sleepless night.