Chapter 3

"Marco? Marco wake up," Bertholdt said quietly, gently tapping Marco's shoulder. His cabin mates gathered around his bed concerned since he was always the first one to wake up and be ready in the morning. Marco slowly sat up, glancing at his cabin mates who were all dressed in their uniforms.

"Crap! I slept in!" Marco cried. He went to stand up before Thomas pushed him back down.

"I think you have a fever. Skip training for the day and focus on getting better," Thomas ordered.

"I can't skip training! We're practicing using ODM gear and I won't know how to use it if I don't show up!" Marco protested.

"Fine," Thomas said giving in. "But if you don't feel well enough to continue come back as soon as possible. I think I know why you are sick," He continued, his eyes locked on Jean.

Marco hurriedly threw on his uniform and ran to the training grounds. Luckily, he made it just on time.

"Today we will be working on using ODM gear. All of you here know how to use it since we've practiced it before. Today we will be practicing using ODM gear in an open space," Keith shouted. A few cadets exchanged excited glances. "Go into the supply shed, get your gear on and meet up back here in five minutes!"

The cadets went to the supply shed to get their hands on the gear when Jean noticed Marco lagging behind. He rolled his eyes knowing Marco was probably staying behind so everyone could get their gear before him. As the line shortened, he noticed gear being held out to him.

"Here," Marco said, smiling. He was pale and his eyes were glassy. Jean glared at him as he snatched the gear away from him and returned to the other cadets.

"You will test out using your gear in the forest at the edge of the training grounds. If you have issues with your gear ask another cadet," Keith said, dismissing everyone.

Jean watched some of the cadets take off. Most of the cadets were clumsy, missing their intended target at first and being pulled in the wrong direction from where they meant to go. Jean's eyes drifted over to Marco who was flying gracefully through the forest already. Jean took off after him, swinging around trees and other cadets. After about twenty minutes or so Keith's voice echoed through the forest.

"KIRSTEIN!" Keith yelled. The other cadets kept practicing using their gear, fearing that if they stopped they would get in trouble as well. Not knowing what he did wrong, Jean nervously made his way down to the rock Keith was perched on. "Marco passed out. Get him and bring him back to his cabin."

"But-" Jean began.

"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY BUTS! TAKE MARCO BACK OR I'LL SEND YOU HOME!" Keith yelled.

Jean sighed and took off, scanning the trees for any sign of Marco. Deep into the forest, he saw Marco sitting on a large branch, leaning against the tree.

"Marco?" Jean asked cautiously, landing on the branch.

"Ah! Sorry! I'm sorry! I was just taking a break. I'm fine!" Marco cried, panicking.

"You're not fine. It's not like you to slack off like this. I'm taking you back to the cabin. Are you feeling well enough to use your ODM gear to get back?" Jean asked, helping Marco stand.

"Yeah. I can hang on a little longer," Marco said, obviously embarrassed about having to leave a training session. Marco maneuvered between the trees, trying to keep an eye on Jean who was much better at ODM gear than he was. Jean shook his head, pissed at Marco for pushing himself too hard. Using ODM gear takes an incredible amount of strain on the body to use and Marco was too weak but did it anyway.

They landed on the ground just beyond the forest. Marco took a few steps before almost collapsing. "Woah!" Jean cried, catching Marco. He took off Marco's ODM gear and picked him up bridal style and carried him back to the cabin. "Why are you so heavy?" Jean asked, struggling to carry him.

"Why are you blushing?" Marco asked, smirking slightly.

"Because I'm stuck carrying you back to the cabin because you couldn't keep yourself healthy!" Jean yelled. "It's embarrassing!" Jean opened the door to the cabin and gently laid Marco down on the bed. He went to leave when Marco called him back.

"Wait. I need to ask you something," Marco said weakly.

"What?" Jean asked, annoyed. He crossed his arms looking upset at having to stay any longer than he had to.

"Why do you hate me?" Marco asked

A/N: Sorry for all of these but the reason why I explain stuff that you probably already know is I wrote this for a few friends who don't know much about Attack on Titan. I'm just too lazy to take it out ;-;