Chapter 6

Two weeks had passed since the cabin change and the cadets were going to their first mission.

"Alright! Today is your first mission! We are going to be clearing out the titans inside Wall Maria! Hopefully, we'll get through this with as little casualties as possible. From past experiences, cadets will forget about the plan the moment they get into battle. Don't do that. Work with your cabin mates and fellow soldiers to minimize the casualties we receive. This is not a practice and it is necessary. Go make yourselves useful out there," Keith shouted from on top of a rock that he had perched himself on. "ONWARDS!" He yelled.

A few soldiers looked at each other nervously before following the others and launching into battle. "You doing okay?" Marco asked Jean who was internally screaming.

"Yep. Perfectly fine," Jean replied. "There's definitely not a chance that I'll die out here."

"You'll be fine. I'll protect you," Marco said with a smile. A shadow of a titan cast over the buildings nearby. "It's a 15 meter abnormal. Don't engage in battle with it unless you need to," Marco ordered. Jean nodded as a reply. The titan reached out for Marco but he swerved around it, it's fingertip just grazing his leg.

"Marco!" Jean yelled. Marco looked around to see that the titan had grabbed Jean instead. His arms were trapped and he couldn't break free. "Help me out here!"

Marco changed his direction, cutting off the titan's hand in a panic. The titan's hand opened, releasing Jean. Unable to use his gear correctly, he fell into a freefall towards the ground. Marco quickly swooped in and grabbed him. "You alright?" Marco asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine," Jean replied, his voice wavering. He looked horrified but was recovering quickly. "You can let me go," Jean added. Marco let go of him and Jean began falling again but he was able to use his gear to level himself next to Marco.

Jean landed on top of a building, not as gracefully as he would have wished. He fell over and ripped the leg of his uniform. The abnormal had followed him and went to reach out for him with his other hand. Marco flew in and landed in front of Jean. "What are you doing?! If you can walk get away!" He yelled. Jean stood up as quickly as he could, his leg not fully supporting his weight. Marco flew in and cut off the titans other hand just as the hand he had previously cut off grew back. He didn't notice in time and the titan grabbed him.

"MARCO!" Jean yelled, not able to react in time. The titan slowly lifted Marco to its open mouth. Marco's screams pierced the air as the titan bit down on the right side of his body. Jean stared at the titan in shock as Marco's blood-stained its mouth and torso. The shock quickly wore off and was replaced with anger. "YOU ASSHOLE!!" Jean screamed, slicing the titans nape.

Jean watched numbly as the titan fell to the ground and evaporated. Even though the titan was dead it didn't die in the way that it deserved. He hadn't been able to save Marco.

That night, his cabin mates all sat in silence the cabin seeming emptier without Marco's presence. Eren was the one that broke the overwhelming silence. "Where's Thomas?" He asked.

Bertholdt shifted nervously where he sat. "Thomas...is dead," Bertholdt said quietly. "He died trying to save Mina." Bertholdt looked over at Jean who was rocking back and forth on his bed with his head buried in between his legs. The cabin had lost its usual atmosphere of cheerfulness after losing two of the people that contributed the most to it.