~ Chapter 1: New to Town ~

"Play for us, will you young one?"

"What left is there to play for? They're gone. All gone."

"Not all of us."

"Most of us."

"Crying will get you nowhere. They loved your music did they not? Not just your family but the town as well?"

"Yes. They did."

"Keep playing for them. Even though they may not be here physically does not mean they cannot hear you as a whole. You have a gift Y/n."

"A gift that could save you still."

****

The town of Dirtmouth was a quiet one. Very little movement, very little action, and of course little to no life. You sat outside of an abandoned-looking house, unable to upkeep it after the infection wiped out most of the already small town. You were an unfortunate bug, allowed to live but at what cost? Your friends? Your family? Your sanity? Ever since the infection hit Dirtmouth hard, your life spiraled downhill. First, your baby sister Pira, then your mother. Your little brothers Klo and Ryin got it from your sister, and after losing Pira so suddenly your dad went under. He was the last of your family that you saw alive... The infection destroying them all. At least they died peacefully and were not forced to roam Hollow Nest like zombies which you knew happened elsewhere.

You were the 'lucky' one. Alive and well, but with no one to hold when things were scary or rough. This was the sacrifice of life it seemed, 'breathing is expensive' you liked to joke to the oldest town member, Elderbug. He still looked over you since in his eyes you were only a child yourself. You weren't really a child, more like a young woman but still. You weren't meant to lose all you hold dear at your age.

Alas, there was no clock to reverse how bad time affected you. So alone you would sit, every day. Talking to Elderbug, visiting the cartographer and his wife; or doing the one thing you knew how to do so well since childhood, playing your violin.

Made out of brittle old wood and years of life. The instrument played as if brand new but had more, a sound of experience and life. Warm, rich, mature, and wise; like Elderbug himself your violin had seen so much and was old beyond years. Despite its worn exterior, it was a prized possession that you earned from your grandfather. Something you enjoyed to play and others enjoyed your playing. Your parents, your siblings, and the town's people would watch in admiration and joy as you would stand in the center of town to play your heart out. Eyes closed, but your feelings out in the open.

But you doubted playing after you started living on the streets near the center of town. Playing it now would remember you of those times which you could no longer go back to. Though when you did play, those who were left would exit their home. Getting to hear how you felt... Your songs now only in a minor key, with no satisfying resolution.

****

You picked yourself up from your little nook by an abandoned house, the neck of your violin in hand. Elderbug stood where he always did, watching you as you passed him.

"Play for us, will you young one?" He asked as he always did. You nodded solemnly, standing in your spot by an empty bench.
"I'll do my best." You replied, your voice soft and not full of life as it once was. A small breeze swept through the small town which wasn't rare, though allowed you to feel something for the first time today. Even if it was just the wind it made you feel less alone, like someone was there.

You placed the bow on the strings, feeling their resistance of one another just a bit. You took a deep breath of the breeze and closed your eyes starting to play what your heart felt, what your mind ordered, and what your fingers did. The sound of your violin filling the air. Elderbug swayed a bit despite the sad sounding tune you played.
Your music sounded dark, not sinister or evil but just sad. As if your violin was weeping, and no one would come to comfort it. Though it was you who was left weeping, left with no one to comfort you. You never shed a tear physically, but that did not mean you weren't breaking down internally. Wishing only for death by this point. Your misery would end and you would see your family again... Maybe when with them again, your violin would play a happier tune.

As you were lost in your thought you never expected a sensation. Like someone was tapping on your lower leg to gain your attention. This caused you to stop your playing abruptly and look down at whatever wanted your full attention.
Before you, standing only up to the middle of your thigh was a small bug figure. A white mask, empty eyes, and two gently curved horns. They seemed like a beetle of some sort, only looking up at you with empty eyes. You weren't sure how they felt, or what they wanted due to that.

"Hello... Do-. Do you need anything?" You asked them. Elderbug only watched you two in curiosity. The little bug never spoke, only looked up with empty eyes. "I'm Y/n," you then held out your hand crouching to their height a bit, "Pleasure to meet you, little guy." You then forced a smile onto your face while saying that. The little bug extended a small nubbed arm from their cloak and allowed you to shake hands with them.

It was a somewhat awkward interaction, and when done they never spoke up. Instead, they tapped your violin, causing you to instinctively lift it up from their grasp like you once had to do when your siblings tried to do the same.

"You don't speak do you?" You asked them anyway, earning a quick small nod from them before they pointed at your now raised violin only interested in that. "You want me to play it?" you asked the little bug which made them jump up and down. This made you chuckle since they acted like a little child. You motioned to the bench beside you as you then placed your violin under your chin yet propped up by your left arm.

"Take a seat, and you can listen to me all you like." You sighed. Beginning to play what you were playing before. Soft and sad, and the bug heard it. They heard your song and heard it was you. Your suffering and sadness... Despite being so little, they understood you so much already. How the infection affected you despite it never reaching your body actually.

You finished soon and the bug only watched you. Still not knowing how they felt but to you, they seemed purely emotionless. You then let out a nervous laugh.

"Did you enjoy it little one? It's not every day someone comes into town and sits to hear me play anymore." You explained, and they nodded. They did like it, which caused a small smile to form on your lips. "I'm glad you liked it. Never be afraid to ask me to play, I have not much else to do while here." You shrugged, and as you said this the bug got off of the bench. Dusting themselves off, which allowed you to see the nail on their back. Just the right size for them, as they turned to the entrance to the crossroads.

'They were going to go there? And do what exactly?' You thought to yourself as the bug waved to you, a simple farewell. All you could do was wave back and watch as they went on their way. A journey? Possibly a quest? Whatever the case, you hoped that deep down they would come back.

Though with what you knew was down there, you didn't think they would.

****

And that's the end of the first chapter! As I said, this will be very slow-moving but it will be worth it. I wanted to have the infection be more than just what it is in the game. Like a real sickness, where people can die or be in the zombie-like state you see in the game. Then again, that could be the case in the game from some of the stuff I've seen. Enough rambling, I hope you liked this and I hope you guys choose to stick around! Bye!

-S_I_R