~ Chapter 10: Fair Dance ~

The next morning Ghost had come back into town and you met by the Stagway station. They held flames on sticks to give to Grimmy which he ate with no hesitation. You both watched with confusion and a bit of awe, not expecting that to be what the flames were for. Ghost and you looked to one another before speaking finally,

           "What do you need to do now?" You asked Ghost as Grimmy cuddled up in your arms after being fully fed. Ghost then pointed to Grimmy before pointing to the tents. "You need to bring him to Grimm?" You asked for confirmation and Ghost nodded. You looked down to Grimmy, who didn't want to leave your arms. He chirped when you both made eye contact.  "Alright Grimmy, you have to go with Ghost for a bit…" You started causing him to whimper, but soon he flew next to Ghost while making unhappy noises.

           Ghost started walking to the tents, and you walked along to ensure Grimmy stayed with them. Petting his head to keep him happy. Soon you all made it to the tent, your plan was to wait outside while they went in but the moment Ghost walked a little too far away Grimmy whimpered and wouldn't go any further from you. Ghost put their hands on their hips becoming aggravated with him already.

           "I'll just come with you guys, no big problem." You calmed down the situation by stepping into the tent and Grimmy resumed his cheerful chirping. Your small group followed the path you once had before, to the main room where Grimm stood talking to his Grimmkin. Though when his eyes landed on all of you, his serious and stone-cold expression turned lighter. Quickly shooing away the Grimmkin. 

           "It is a pleasure to see you here, as well as my son." He looked to Grimmy with a kind expression, one you had not seen in ages. And expression painting very few, but one you knew growing up. A fatherly sort of expression in pride and love. Your father gave that to you and your siblings many times before. Grimm opened his arms and Grimmy flew to him with as much joy as he would to you, Grimm embracing his son briefly before hiding him in his cloak his eyes then flared a slightly brighter shade of red. "My child, you have grown exceptionally well. Thank you for helping them this far… Y/n, I'm sorry to bump you from this part of our interaction but Ghost and I must do something. You may watch us if you wish though." Grimm looked at you kindly and you nodded simply.

           "No need to apologize, I'll be over here." You nodded as you stepped away, Grimm then putting his hands together, before looking to Ghost.

           "Amazing!" He then chuckled lightly before snapping his fingers, illuminating the arena once again though now the seats were filled with anticipating Grimmkin. "Dance with me, my friend. The crowd awaits...'' he started while giving Ghost a gentle bow, Ghost returned the bow before they both stood upright. Grimm backed away a bit, to ready himself this was no normal dance you instantly learned.

           "Show them you are worthy of a starring role!" He said with excitement, before promptly disappearing in a puff of red smoke. Ghost had their nail out and when Grimm reappeared he sent out bats made of fire right for them. You worried about Ghost's safety but soon saw that they were not helpless as their height made them seem. The time they spent exploring the infected parts of Hollownest made them stronger, and on par with Grimm's natural ability. Both jumping swiftly, attacking fast, while still keeping their defenses high. Grimm in a sense did not lie since this was a complicated set of moves between two partners. Ghost landing small attacks while ensuring he was getting hit, while Grimm treated this like it was a normal conversation almost.

           Grimm would laugh in a playful manner when Ghost would miss. Then when he would split into multiple versions of small Grimmchildren, the crowd would watch in awe before clapping and cheering when he would reassemble. Even going as far as to lift his arms on the air a bit to present himself. Grimm was showy, confident, and only doing this for entertainment yet spared no easy time for Ghost. You sat on a bench nearby, watching in awe yourself.

           At one point Grimm had disappeared into smoke once again, then appeared in front of you. Swiftly pulling out a rose literally from nowhere and bowing as he gave it to you. He gave a subtle wink to you, before disappearing again. Ghost had just gotten to you, before looking enraged at Grimm's actions. Clearly, Ghost took the entire duel as a legitimate fight, which you didn't blame them for. Though that did not stop you from laughing lightly along with the crowd, your face heating up lightly as you twirled the rose a bit in your hand. It was the same sweet color of red that was everywhere in the tent and had a prominent sweet scent. It was still a sweet gesture.

           Despite Grimm's cocky style of fighting, Ghost still landed a final hit. Grimm let out a shrill scream before disappearing once again. Ghost stood triumphantly as Grimm reappeared giving a gentle bow.

           "Bravo, my friend. Hear how the crowd adores you! They've not seen such a show in a long time…" He started with a grand smile, the Grimmkin talking excitedly about the battle. You got up and stood afar from the two, not wanting to interrupt them. Grimm opened his cloak soon after standing back up, "And here is the child, for you to gather the rest of the flames-."

           Grimmy bolted from the cloak to you instantly, a lot larger and wrapping themselves into your arms with joy. His tendrils and body now longer and his body was now deep red like Grimm's. Speaking for Grimm, he looked at you I confusions before turning to Ghost. Grimm stammered, which was unlike him altogether.

           "H-have you not been bonding with that child at all?" He sounded offended, and you felt horrible. Afraid for Ghost even. Ghost awkwardly backed away and Grimm growled lowly. "You lit the torch, summoning us here to complete our ritual which was to take care of the child. How dare you make a fool of me and our culture by just leaving them to someone else." He hissed, his kind tone long gone as his eyes burned a fiery red, fueled by the anger Ghost had caused. The Grimmkin now hid, afraid of their Master's wrath and you couldn't stand idly without speaking up.

           You rushed up between them and felt anxiety rise in your chest. Grimm's eyes landed on you darkly as even Grimmy his from gaze behind you, though he refused to leave your side altogether.

          "Ghost is not the only one to blame here, I agreed to help them. Though your child has not been shunned, you should be able to see that. Ghost is but a child themselves mentally, giving a child to look after is just asking for mistakes to be made." You said sternly, standing your ground.

           "They are no child, they are but a vessel. Told what to do, when to do it."

           "Don't you dare speak that way about Ghost, they have feelings!" You hissed.

           "... And that is why they were discarded." He snapped back and you had enough. You stepped away and gave a glare similar to what he gave you, before turning to Ghost and ushering them out. Grimmy looked shyly to their angered father before deciding you were a safer choice.

           Ghost looked like they wanted to attack Grimm, but you had enough of someone bashing a loved one of yours. Your blood was boiling with anger from Grimm's words, but nothing else could really be said now.

****

           You both made it back to the bench and sat disappointed, sitting there for a few solid hours then. You were holding Grimmy close as he rested in his new form, nuzzling his face into the crook of your neck to comfort You. Ghost only looked defeated and tired.

           "He had no right to speak to you that way." You argued, despite Ghost not being able to respond to your anger. "He gives off such a gentleman like vibe, but I knew something else had to be hiding under the sad excuse of a facade." You pulled Grimmy close to your chest as you said so.

           Soon a Grimmkin awkwardly stepped into view. Seeing your death glare already, they gulped.

           "Lady Y/n? Our master would like to have a word with you. Alone."

Okay. I'm tired and close to passing out. But I hope this makes sense. Sweet dreams everyone. I'm starting to have a hard time typing now. Ciao.

-S_I_R