~ Chapter 26: Last Chance ~

Grimm and you sat throughout the night, you ensured he was comfortable for now… You did try and ask questions that could lead you to an answer but you were not sure.

          "How does Ghost play a part in the ritual?" You looked at him and he replied with no hesitation.

          "Ghost will harvest the flames within my final dream." He spoke quietly as his only wish was to enjoy his troupe's liveliness and your peaceful presence. You thought about what he said and contemplated for a bit longer, but you were unable to grasp an answer.

          Ghost had left a few minutes before, so you assumed they were doing something to prepare for the ritual. Divine had bowed to Grimm at some point before leaving for her tent, accepting that she would never see him again until Grimmy was matured. Though Grimm she raised herself, maybe she thought that she was passing him off to his mother. She did her part for Isa…

          Grimmy sat impatiently next to his father on the other side of him and sat atop a pedestal. Given a smaller cloak that he kept trying to take off, he was acting like a fussy child but Grimm found him just adorable. Grimmkin would bow to Grimm and Grimmy before giving small items to Grimmy. When you asked about it, it was all connected to a symbolic part of the ritual. Grimmkin would give gifts to their next leader to ensure their loyalty to him while starting to give respect to both the father and the child. That was when you started hearing a strange phrase come from the Grimmkin as they bowed.

          "Burn the father, feed the child."

          You sat there silently, knowing that time was running out with every second you sat idly. You glanced down at the floor by your seat and saw your violin case, Divine had brought it just in case you wanted to play one last time for Grimm. A plan began to form as you turned to Grimm with a kind smile.

          "Before the end of the night, please hear me play one last time. You might not be able to dance but you can at least hear Brumm and I play as we had before." You stood up and went with your idea. Grimm looked interested for once instead of just extremely tired.

          "That actually sounds lovely, Y/n. I would love to hear you play." He smiled at you as you opened your case and took your violin out. Brumm saw you approach with your violin in hand and gave you a quiet greeting.

          "Good evening, Lady Y/n."

          "Good evening to you too, Brumm." You took place next to him, readying your violin. He knew what to play as you soon entered with a beautiful melody like you had both done days before. Grimmkin began to stop and listen to you both.

          "Will this be your last song for Master?" He asked you quietly, which you answered without making it obvious you were talking.

          "I hope it won't…" Brumm then hummed.

          "Do you not want Master to part with us? I suppose I can agree. The cycle is endless, and is nothing but a prison to us all." This caused you to glance at him quickly.

          "Is there a way to stop it, Brumm?" You tried not to falter with your playing, but Brumm and you seemed to be on the same page.

          "There was, Ghost could have destroyed the lantern they lit to summon us. It would have banished us back to the Nightmare Realm and it would have been like we were never there. Never has someone done it before, though I believed it would free us from the ritual. They didn't take the opportunity though, the child would have left with us and unlike the cycle, we do not know where we would go after banishment. They didn't want to hurt you, they didn't want you to be alone." He explained as you looked around the room with a fake smile. So Ghost didn't want to act in fear of damaging you, though you still had to try something.