~ Chapter 9: Bright Future ~

The night fell once again, and you had just gotten Grimmy to settle down and sleep before any Grimmkin could notice him. He was a feisty young child, then again any child would refuse bedtime until they inevitably did sleep. You assumed Grimmy had to still be very young if he napped constantly and was still overly clingy, you even learned that he could eat normal food which sustained him for a while. You became like a nanny, a guardian for him, a mother. It was strange to think, but he imprinted on you much more easily then he did on Ghost. You still remembered how your mother cared for Pira constantly, and you took the skills she unintentionally taught you to care for Grimmy.

           The few lights in the homes around you shut off, though dimly lit street lights still remained. You could hear nothing but the faint lift of music. It made you shiver, the minor chords placed in a devilish manner. And accordion being the culprit to the sinister-sounding circus music. You then let out a soft sigh, sitting up against the wall as Grimmy was shielded from any view with your objects. A light breeze swept through town, causing a few pebbles and debris here and there to move.

           You only stared off into the distance, not able to really shut your eyes in a restful manner. Your dreams lately becoming stranger and stranger which made sleeping something you didn’t desire. As you kept looking off into the distance, someone moving caught your eyes. It was Grimm exiting the tent to look around, you scrunched up into your corner more so he wouldn't see you while you made sure to cover Grimmy up better.

           You silently cursed to yourself as he wrapped his cloak closer to his body and started walking towards Dirtmouth. You weren't sure what to do, but you did know you had to keep Grimmy hidden or Ghost's plan would fall. You then ensured Grimmy was hidden with just enough time to fake that you were sleeping. Grimm walked with his head held high and his large red eyes observing the world.

           The sound of soft clicking could be heard growing gradually louder. You did your best to keep your breathing calm and act as natural as possible. His footsteps grew closer and closer to the point you could hear when he would inevitably kick a small stone. Then they stopped and you weren't sure if he had left or was there still… No noise was heard at all for a solid minute before you opened your eyes, assuming it was all safe. Wrong.

         Grimm stood above you about two feet away, looking at you with slight confusion and concern.

          "I could sense you were not asleep, an ability I hold." He answered your question of how he knew before you could actually ask it. Your face grew red with embarrassment that he caught you as you tried to defend yourself. Before you could, he asked a question of his own. "Why are you out here? Have you no place to sleep?" He crouched down a bit more to become eye level with you, not wanting to seem intimidating. It was a gesture with no words, but it helped you a bit. Your eyes still refused to lock with his though.

           "I haven't had a home to sleep within in a little over two years." you softly admitted. It was hard to admit but the truth always hurt, and you were forever hurting. Grimm nodded a bit before noticing your violin case.

           “I saw you playing the violin the other day, I had no idea you were a musician.” Grimm swiftly changed subjects with a smooth transition. You took your case and held it close.

           “I wouldn’t call myself a musician per se…” You responded simply, he let out a gentle laugh after it.

           “Nonsense. A musician is those who can claim there instrument is nothing more than an extension of themselves. You bring it everywhere, and wield it as if it is another part of your body it would be a lie to say you are not one.” He stood back up while dusting himself off, making you believe he would be on his way. Though when he held his hand out to you between the opening of his cloak, you knew your conversation was far from over. “Wish to join me on my walk? Little by little I have been taking in the town as it is, but maybe someone who has lived here longer can give me a deeper insight.”