~ Chapter 22: a Change in Seasons ~

Thank you, everyone, for giving me memes. It really made my day as I woke up. Lol.

          You woke up to a familiar feeling of Grimmy trying to stealthily sneak his way between you and Grimm while you slept. Grimm woke up with a confused groan as you had turned in your sleep so you both faced one another, you saw his red eyes open slowly and look down at his child who was comfortable between you both. A small smile grew on Grimm's face as he then lightly pet Grimmy's head. Not a word was said between the three of you, but that was perhaps what made it even better.

          Grimm looked at you then and seemed purely at peace with being next to you, and you felt the same way.

          “How did you sleep?” He asked and you decided to sit up and stretch.

          “A lot better than the first half of the night,” you answered calmly as Grimm sat up also. Grimmy whined at you two leaving, though he didn’t object to taking your spots on the bed as you two go up. Grimm found his cloak and clipped it onto himself.

          “What was the nightmare you had last night about?” He asked as he dressed for the day. You knew exactly what the dream was, and instantly felt the dread and pressure of the reality of his situation and your own. Isa’s warning and yet her concern for her son… You couldn’t tell Grimm, you knew you couldn’t and so you rubbed your head and shrugged.

          “Actually, I don’t remember now… Probably just an old memory from before the infection, though it went wrong.” You shook your head, though Grimm took your word and went for the door.

          “Let me make sure the rest of the Troupe is doing what they are supposed to… Feel free to do as you please, my love." He walked over to you after saying so, giving you a quick kiss before heading for the door. "Hope we meet later." And with that, he left. You let out a soft sigh before looking at Grimmy who looked up at you with his large black eyes, so sweet and innocent. It made you smile warmly.

          "Why don't we get some breakfast and then take a trip to Dirtmouth?" You asked him and Grimmy then let out a chirp while lifting his head up. You chuckled softly, "That sounds like a yes."

****

          With your violin on your back and Grimmy by your side, you made your way outside. The cold breeze that would sweep down into Dirtmouth made Grimmy curl around your shoulders for warmth. You gently then put your hand against his head, caressing it and keeping him comforted as you began walking to town.

          It was growing colder, the yearly cycle of seasons landing to winter. If the infection wasn't stopped once winter hit, you and the rest of the townsfolk would be doomed. It was another dread that never left you along with Grimm's approaching death. Though the winter always made the townspeople slow down, and when you approached the town Elderbug was visibly cold. He was a bit more hunched and clearly slowed down.

          "Hello, Elderbug." You greeted and he turned his head to you with as wide of a smile an old man could possibly have.

          "Y/n… You've come back. I'm glad to see you're okay. How have the strange newcomers been treating you?" He asked which made you smile softly.

          "They have been treating me well. Nothing bad has happened, they're very nice." you then replied which made Elderbug give a gentle nod of approval. Then he reached his hand out and pointed to Grimmy.

          "And this little one… How has he been? How long will you need to watch over him?" You sighed at his question and looked up to the sky slightly.

          "I'll need to watch him until he is mature, it is hard to explain. In a sense, I've adopted the role of being his mother and raising him like he is my son." You spoke softly before looking back to Elderbug. He thought for a bit before gently petting Grimmy's head and earning a sweet purr from him.

          "If you are okay with that role, then I cannot stop you from taking it on. You learned a lot from your mother, you have many of her attributes as well." You let out a soft laugh at his comment before letting Grimmy off your shoulders.

          "I wanted to play a bit. I remember when we would throw festivals in town when the winds would change. Before some bugs would leave for warmer areas or we would tuck into our homes for the winter." You set your violin case down and pulled your violin out. Elderbug hummed as a response.

          "Those were lovely times, and you would play beautiful wintry tunes." He added as you placed your violin on your shoulder. You remembered the tunes you would play back then and remembered the days when your brothers and you would travel through the cold where somedays white would sweep through the town from above. Cold white that would melt in your hands when held… It was rare, only coming in the wintertime from time to time.

          With the memories of good old times in your mind, you began to play a sweet tune. Light and airy like the white breaths that would exit your breath in the dead of winter. It embodied the season in all its glory, while it did bring death it acted to inevitably bring Spring. Where everyone would return to Dirtmouth and life would continue anew.

          Another breeze swept through the town as you ended the time lightly. Elderbug shuddered from the cold and Grimmy let out a loud mess of chatter before flying over to someone. Grimm walked up to you and Elderbug after hearing you finish, when Grimmy flew to him he let him hide in his cloak to keep warm. Elderbug saw him and cowarded away, which Grimm noticed and stopped from coming closer. You smiled at Grimm and set your violin away.

          "It's okay Elderbug, Grimm means no harm. He's a sweet man." You laughed and Grimm pulled his cloak closer to himself, looking away to hide a small blush that dusted his cheeks. Elderbug looked from Grimm to you and soon relaxed.

          "If you say so. I think it's time for me to warm up inside. My old bones don't handle the cold so well anymore. Stay safe and warm, child." He waved to you and then did something to Grimm, who gave a simple bow before Elderbug left to go inside.

          You slipped your violin case over your shoulder and walked over to Grimm, starting to walk back to the tent.

          "Why didn't you say hello to him?" You nudged Grimm lightly and he hummed.

          "I feel as if I had frightened the poor old man. I didn't wish to cause him any stress. I only came to make sure you didn't get too cold while being outside. We felt the cold breeze sweep through town…" Grimm explained softly. You shrugged a bit as he wrapped his arm around you, keeping you close to him as he then wrapped you in part of his cloak. Keeping you warm like he did Grimmy. "Your cold to the touch, I don't want you getting ill, my love."

          "I know…" You looked up at him, and he looked down before placing a small kiss on your forehead. You all walked back to the tent silently, once again enjoying time as a small family. Not having to say anything as the silence held it all.

          Sorry for the late post and such a bland chapter. I was busy all day, and I still have an idea of where I want the book to go from here. I just needed a filler chapter before I set in motion rest and potentially the end of the book. See you tomorrow and with a better chapter! Ciao!