~ Chapter 13: Abnormal Duo ~

As the day went on, Grimm left you alone with Grimmy to do other important duties. Though once you had tucked Grimmy into bed for one of his many naps, you didn't have much to do for a while. Taking up your violin, you were determined to find a place to play for a while. This tent seemed to go deeper than you could see from the outside, there must have been someplace where things were quiet. As you began walking through the halls of the dimly lit tent, everything felt colder. You gripped your violin's neck tightly, bow in the other hand as you walked, trying a door here or there to see if they were locked which most of them were. 

You never noticed that the further you went through the halls, the more prominent the music was becoming. The sinister melody that had felt like it was on loop for days now was coming from somewhere nearby, and you were determined to now know where it had come from. You then began following the music, like a game of hot and cold as the music grew louder and louder until you reached an open doorway.

Peering inside, you saw a familiar figure and one new to you standing in the room together. Divine stood next to a broader bug playing the accordion, chatting away to him as he just nodded to her from time to time. He never missed a beat, and it was impressive seeing another musician. This gave you the confidence to step in and gain Divine's attention. She let out a dramatic gasp and looked happy.

"Master did not lie! The girl has returned, and here to stay!" She rushed to you and you laughed nervously.

"I don't know what Grimm has told you, but I am not staying forever. I'm just taking care of his son."

"The child..." Both muttered the broader bug had a deeper and monotone voice while Divine was still expressive as ever.

"So you are taking care of the child? So strange..." Divine muttered. You gave her a confused look, and the other bug who was still playing the accordion spoke up,

"Master must care for you a decent bit to allow you to stay here. Either that or pity..."

"As I said, I'm caring for his child." You restated and Divine hummed annoyingly.

"But if Master didn't care he would just take his son back! Not go through the trouble of housing someone new!" Divine concluded, before leaning closer to you as if she was trying to read your soul. "Young, pretty, and clearly a motherly one, I knew it the moment I smelled you... Master picked well!" She clapped and you were even more lost before you thought about her words. Realizing that she believed Grimm and you had a closer relationship than prior thought.

"W-whoa! Hey! No, I don't think you understand!" You felt your face heat up embarrassed and Divine cackled while the other bug just sighed.

"Divine, stay out of Master's private affairs... Whether this girl is a partner of his or not is none of our business."

"Oh Brumm, you lousy man! It isn't every century that Grimm takes a liking to a commoner! Especially not in this life..." She looked from the accordion player back to you. "How old are you young one? What are your plans? Has Master confessed his love for you at all yet?" She pushed on and you shook your head while taking a small step back.

"Grimm and I aren't in a relationship. I'm basically just a nanny for his son... Nothing serious as far as I know." You told her honestly and Divine looked disappointed. Brumm then changed the subjects with ease.

"I see that fine instrument in your hands, handcrafted and old beyond your own years. Do you play?"

"Yes, this is a family heirloom. My grandfather's handmade violin. I have been playing it since I can remember." You stepped closer to Brumm, his hands never stopping as he played his tune.

"Very nice... Very nice indeed. Divine!" He called and the woman turned his way, not looking sad at all now.

"Yes, Brumm?"

"Do you believe it is time to change the tune a bit?" A smile came to him in a Cheshire cat sort of way.

"Yes yes yes! And let the girl play with you, too! Let's see how well you both sound! Maybe if Master likes it he will beg her to stay!" Divine clasped her hands together almost like she was praying. Brumm rolled his eyes and then turned you.

"Do not mind her, she is more persistent than a bird when trying to grab fresh food. Play with me, I have not met another musician in ages." He bowed a bit, still playing incredibly. You bowed back and set your violin.

"I'd love to play. I hope you enjoy it." You replied nervously and Brumm just chuckled. Soon stopping his music to let you start. You wanted to make it sound like how it normally would, but with your own flair... So as you closed your eyes, you thought of the strange atmosphere and how it made you feel. Giving Brumm the ability to set a rhythm and key for you. You never played with someone else before, even though you had been playing the violin for almost your entire life. Though despite it being your first time, it worked well.

You painted a picture of the smokey red atmosphere and how the pomegranate flames would lick the cold barren air. How Grimmkin would fly around with chaotic chatter and how even the sanest man could go mad when entering, but you still gave a cheerier bridge. When thinking of Grimmy, and his adorable chirps and sweet purring when fast asleep. Even when thinking of Grimm and his gentle personality, the tune wanted to be light, airy and peaceful. It was strange, a man with such a calm demeanor in such a chaotic place... It was abnormal though he was still an abnormal man himself. Abnormal and alluring, and you didn't know why but what you did know was that you were hooked.

You played for a while until your fingers grew sore, helping to close out your piece. When you opened your eyes after finishing Brumm nodded approvingly.

"Amazing. It is clear you can play extremely well. I am impressed-" Brumm was then interrupted by some soft clapping towards the doorway which caused you all to turn your heads.

Grimm himself stood tall and strong, a gentle smile on his face. Divine let out a yelp and bowed to him.

"Hello, Master! We did not expect you!"

"It is quite alright. I was just attracted to the music... I knew the violinist herself was behind those sweet strings." Grimm looked to you and you smiled shyly.

"I just wanted some time to play, I have never played anything like what I just did before." You explained, holding your violin close.

"It sounded lovely none the less." He nodded to you simply. Divine turned her head the other way and looked to Brumm as if she knew something was up and cleared her throat.

"Brumm that reminds me! I need help doing something, carrying some items to my room... Come dear friend and help me?" Divine beckoned him and he sighed, looking to you briefly with a look that read how sorry he was for her behavior. With that, the two of them left and you turned completely to Grimm.

"They're both very nice." You started, Grimm walking in a bit more.

"They're two of my most loyal Troupe members. They've been with me for ages, ever since I was a little boy myself." He chuckled, his long legs striding slowly around the room. He inspected it with just plain curiosity as he spoke.

"I can tell. They're both so different... Then again, you seem to run your entire troupe and despite how chaotic it all is flawlessly." You followed him and he looked down at you.

"What is a circus without a leader?" He laughed and you joined in. Finding yourself smiling strongly and purely. It was nice having a conversation for once with someone you could understand. Both of you taking this time to talk a bit more, with no one in here to bother you.

Funny how neither of you noticed the snoopy woman known as Divine watching from afar, now determined to make sure what she saw in you both would happen.

I have a competition tomorrow so at worst, the next chapter may be posted extremely late Saturday night. We'll see... Have a nice night everyone. I hope you enjoy this. Ciao!

-S_I_R