To Stay Like This Forever

Ch 6

Lucifer poised himself near the window of the Student Council room with a cup of chamomile tea in hand. He checked his watch, noting Diavolo was 12 minutes late now. He was slightly irked; he ought to have been here on time if this matter was so urgent. However, in the corners of his mind he refused to acknowledge, he hoped that the President was safe.

He was startled out of his thoughts when the man in question made his boisterous entrance, kicking the door open. A tall stack of herbal teas were balanced on one hand, and a wide, wrapped gift was toted in the other. Over his uniform was an ill-fitted hoodie that he'd had since they were freshmen, with the words 'I <3 Lucifer' on them.'

"Yo, Lucifer! I got you something!"

"I noticed." The ravenette narrowed his eyes at his friend. "This is what you wanted to talk about, then?"

"Well yes, but, no? Just, let me talk first." He took a breath. "This isn't easy. So I thought it'd be less difficult if I explained everything. First up," he set down the wrapped item, and allowed the boxes of tea to collapse on the table in front of him. "I got you tea, because you're always stressed out, and you have a lot of people to deal with. I wanted to ease your tension. And, I can do that in another way."

He set the other gift on the table. "Come stand in front of this, please. Good. Now, I know how much you like art, so I wanted to show you this. I genuinely believe this is the most beautiful piece I've ever seen. More breathtaking than any painting or sculpture; something that Botticelli or Vermeer could never hope to recreate. And, there's nothing in this world that I'd ever love more than this masterpiece. It's one of those once in a lifetime views. And you know what? I don't want to only watch it from afar. I want to call it mine." If Lucifer's curiosity didn't peak at the grandiose speech, it certainly did at the vulnerable expression on Diavolo's face.

"I'd like to see it."

"It's yours. Open it." Lucifer gently tore it open. It was an enlarged photograph of him from sophomore year, caught off guard, laughing. Paint covered his cheeks, and his hair a complete mess, filled with shimmering gold stars. "Do you remember this day? It's one of my clearest memories. The two of us got stuck making a prom banner by the old president. We decided to hijack the art room after school and try to design something so obnoxious it'd blind the whole senior class. You got so focused about such a dumb project, and I-"

"You decided to blow glitter into my ears. I retaliated by pouring beads down the back of your shirt."

"Yeah! And we started fighting and smearing paint onto each other. It was one of the most priceless days of my life. I remember staring at you laughing after I surrendered, with all those stars in your hair, and thinking to myself, 'Wow, what I wouldn't give to stay like this forever.'"

"I bet. The seniors were so upset with our monstrosity."

"Some people just don't understand true art, my dear Lucifer." His eyes turned slightly serious. "And sometimes, I don't either. But I want to. I believe this is the best thing I can do to go about that mission. Lucifer Morningstar, will you grant me the honor to take you on a date?"

DM: Diavolo & Barbatos

Diavolo: Don't come to the Student Council Room.

Barbatos: Yes, sir.

Barbatos: It might not be my place to ask, but, did everything go okay?

Diavolo: Yeah. Yeah, it did.

DM: Barbatos & MC