XXIV.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❝ we have only today, let us begin

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
we have only today, let us begin.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
⚌⚌

THE SECONDS TICKED by so slowly, each little tap of sound from his watch a constant reminder that things could end so quickly and they'd all be left to admit they failed again. they couldn't fail this time, not after what happened the night before and not when so much was riding on his shoulders to not let his friend down.

that's all namjoon could think about. jungkook. he's never, in all the years he's known him, ever be so affected by nearly losing someone so close to him. it was one of the hardest things to see, the way jungkook nearly broke. it was kind of a reminder that the ravenette was still a kid, barely over twenty five and having been through more then someone his age should have to deal with.

now he had to make sure he didn't screw up. he's never done anything without jungkook, and it felt wrong.

"hey, i can hear you thinking too much." jimin had said through the phone. he was on speaker, and his light voice filled the car. "sorry." namjoon said, "i just hope this works."

"of course it will." jimin said, "it's jungkooks plan, they always work." he winced a little at the end, maybe faking such confidence was a bad idea. the older boy recognized this too, but he didn't point it out.

his car was parked a few blocks down and around the corner, only peeking out enough to see the gate entrance to the facility and the transportation vans waiting outside by the basketball courts. so far there didn't seem to be an issue, no one questioned the second van and yoongi was able to drive in with his badge. he's not sure what was going on inside the van as it waited, wondering how the team was holding up after having to sit with sunwoo there.

he had gotten out and told them he had to monitor the security from another location, some lame excuse about being a second eye for jimin since one of the traffic cameras wasn't working. it was all a lie, just a reason for sunwoo not to question his absence. that man was so paranoid they'd double cross him. for good reason too.

yoongi had been barely able to put up with the man for five minutes, constantly checking his watch and tapping against the wheel. "do you see her yet?" sunwoo asked from the back, leaning forward to look towards the windows by the baseball stairwell. that's where jungkook told her to go, using the air vents outside her cell to make it there unseen.

"dude no." yoongi said for the hundredth time. his patience was running out very quickly.

"what even are these for?" sunwoo asked another question, seeing the black outfits and vests laying on the floor of the van. they were security detail outfits, ones that matched the prison guards here and simply for backup in case they needed a way to get out and blend in. "uh, extras." hoseok said, even he was tired of this man already.