he closed his eyes

and thought about that boy from yesterday. his hair was the color of coral, bitter and bright, and he had cheeks with freckles and little blushed spots that enlarged along with the surprise in his caramel brown eyes. those eyes had been watery and sad, though, last time he'd seen them. he couldn't shake the gray feeling inside him as he worked his shift.
today was a bit more busy than yesterday. a young girl, only five years old, came into the shop with her mother in search of a puppy. he showed them to a small pen with two dogs, one with a black spot around his eye and one black paw. the girl smiled as the pup licked her fingers, and the mother gave in easily. he got the adoption papers in order and watched that small family leave with a new love that day, and he felt himself releasing that gray feeling, slowly but surely.

until peach came back again.

this time he headed for the back corner where one black kitten slept soundly in his compartment on the wall, and he stood and stared with the same red eyes as the day before.

"back again?"

"mhm."

"looking for anything particular?"

"nope."

"okay. just let me know if you need anything."

the boy with the sleek hair sat behind the counter and watched him contently, fighting the urge to ask if he was alright; before he knew it, the new regular was leaving.

"thanks again."

"no problem. have a nice day."

the apricot boy stood in the entrance, his hand on the handle, and he turned towards the employee with a quirked smile.

"what's your name?"

"tobio kageyama."

"i'm shōyō hinata. have a good day, tobio."

"you too, shōyō."