and with this change of ways

tobio found himself in a state of mind he never had before.

it's been one year since he's met shōyō. today was their anniversary. they never counted when they started dating, because that wasn't the real moment worth commemorating. the real moment was that day when shōyō came running into that little pet shop where tobio worked his slow summer days away, tears streaming down his plush cheeks, searching for someone to save him when he didn't even know it.

"one year ago, today," tobio smiled at the boy.

"you sound like my snapchat memories."

"shut up!"

the two walked hand in hand down the same road they always do, the one that leads them home after volleyball practice every day. today their weekend started, so shōyō would be going with tobio to his house for the night; tobio had a movie night planned. he bought popcorn and everything, just for his boy.

"hey, tobio?"

"what?"

"we only have a few weeks of school left," shōyō mumbled anxiously, "so... what do you think about me applying for a job at the pet shop this summer?"

"wait, what? yes! yes, definitely, please do it!" tobio stopped abruptly and squeezed the boy's hands, the biggest smile he's had so far stretching out his rosy pink face.

"okay, okay!" shōyō giggled, overwhelmed by his response, "i will!"

"oh my god. this summer is gonna be so great!" tobio swung their hands back and forth as they kept on walking, his heart beating right out of his chest.

"i think so, too."