he now knew loneliness

in a way he hadn't before; it taunted him like a relentless child in the shop for the third day without a visit from shōyō. tobio barely knew him, but after the short fallout they'd had, he couldn't help but wish the tangerine boy would come back so he could apologize.

he had some business the last three days, which was nice. seeing the animals he cared for during his short after-school shifts go to loving homes was the reason he applied for the job. two families, one with a young girl and one with a young boy came in the same day to adopt. tobio hoped that if shōyō came back he wouldn't be too upset over the little girl and her parents adopting the brother and sister tabby set. the young boy's family adopted a baby german shepard happily. a college girl also came in the day after and adopted a little cream-colored pug.

but still, even after those delightful moments, there was no shōyō. no chance to see if his busted brow healed up, or if it got worse.
no chance to apologize.

he didn't even know him, yet he missed him.

he swept the yellow and blue tile floors weakly as he let his mind run around in the color orange. he swept and swept until the bell rang above the door, and the black ink between his lungs froze mid-leak.