the time became right

on the walk home after practice. the fall air was growing chilly, and shōyō shivered beneath his karasuno t-shirt; he'd forgotten his jacket at home this morning. very accidental... not. but oh, how lucky he was, tobio had on a black sweatshirt!

"you cold?"

"mhm."

tobio smirked to himself and thought, damn, he's good. you should've known better.
the boy pulled it over his head in a swift motion and threw it at shōyō's face, laughing heartily when he squeaked an angry little, "hey! rude!"

"shut up and put it on," tobio smiled, entangling their fingers as soon as shōyō had listened.

they walked in silence until the sidewalk converged, and tobio slowed to a short stop. shōyō turned around and pulled the hood of the hoodie up, blushing slightly in the dark and breathing softly.

"do i have to give it back now?"

"no, you can keep it."

"yay!" shōyō did a little dance, and tobio's heart began to speed its cadence.

"hey, uh... shō?"

"hey, uh.... tobio?" shōyō mocked the boy, struggling to reach his low octave.

"i- uh..."

shōyō looked up and him and wrapped his arms around himself, smiling that gentle, encouraging smile, and god did tobio want to, god did tobio want to just go for it-

"you okay? you look constipated."

"shut up!"

"well, what were you gonna say?"

tobio wiped his sweaty hands on his thighs roughly and took a step forward, smiling nervously. he ran a hand through his jet black hair before closing his eyes and mumbling almost inaudibly.

"shō, can... can i kiss you?"

silence.

"no."

he opened his eyes.

"what?"

"just kidding!" shōyō threw himself at the boy, collecting his black t-shirt with both fists and pulling him down to meet in the middle.

tobio felt a wave of anxiety roll over and away as he melted into shōyō; he reached to cup the boy's cheeks, drawing a giggle from the orange boy who bunched the shirt in his hands up a little more and titled his head to close the space that was left.
tobio though shōyō tasted like sugar and mint, and shōyō found nothing but something that reminded him of the home he'd been longing for on tobio's lips. it was comfortable and uncomfortable and happy and sloppy and perfectly awkward all at once, just like the two of them together.

the fall sky bled plum, and the leaves scraped the ground, the windy chill freezing the boys' noses. they pulled apart, giggling as they poked at each other's faces playfully.

"what took you so long?"

"i was nervous. thought you wouldn't want me to." tobio blushed deeper, if it was possible to blush more than he already had.

"i want you to. like, all the time. please." the shorter boy giggled softly, standing up on his very tippy-toes and pecking his boyfriend's lips again.

"good to know."