he saw darkness

in the rumbling, grey sky as it poured down, pelting its anger on the roof of the pet shop and the rest of the little town around it.

i hope shōyō isn't running here in this rain, tobio thought solemnly. he would hate to see him soaked and shivering just for a kitten's company.

but, much to his dismay, that's exactly how he looked when he bursted through the door.

shōyō came barreling through the door and beelined for the back, but tobio stopped him dead in his tracks with a calm, "shōyō?"

"what?" shōyō snapped.

tobio's chest grew so dark, like someone had dropped ink inside it and watched it spread, black and cruel and unrelenting. he winced at the raw split in shōyō's eyebrow and the busted corner of his lip, and immediately hopped over the counter and ran to him.

"my god, what happened to you?"

"why do you care? you don't even know me." shōyō shook tobio's gentle grip on his shoulder off with a glare.

"well, i know you a little bit," he muttered matter-of-factly.

"just leave me alone, tobio." shōyō rolled his eyes and headed towards the brother and sister tabbies again.

"you're bleeding."

"just shut up!"

tobio sucked in a deep breath at that, and retreated to the counter with a, "fine. you wanna be rude? go ahead. don't ask me for help when your lip busts, hinata."

shōyō winced at the sound of his last name and scoffed, getting up and walking right out of the shop, no goodbye. he left only the cold ring of the bell above the door and a little drop of blood by the corner in the back, which tobio angrily cleaned up.

the rain began to clear up, but the sky was still dark. not as dark as his chest, though.