Chapter Nineteen - Peace

When Ben awoke the next morning, he felt both exhilarated and exhausted at the same time. Rey laid next to him, still sound asleep. Ben reached over and caressed her cheek with the back of his hand, recalling all the events of the previous day. They were finally married. Ben smiled to himself. Finally. He used that word as if he had waited ages to marry this girl. But the truth was, he had only known her for a short period of time. And the even worse truth was that he hadn't even considered marriage until he had come back from the dead. Ben knew a long time ago he wanted Rey to be a part of his life for years to come, but marriage had never really seemed like a possibility or necessity. He assumed that's why it never crossed his mind. But now that they had gotten married, Ben couldn't imagine anything that could make him happier.

Ben kissed Rey's cheek gently before pulling the covers over her shoulders, being careful not to wake her. Part of him wanted to wake her and part of him wanted to let her sleep. But the majority of him knew that she would need plenty of rest in the weeks to come and that ruled over any other wants he had. Ben sighed. He had no idea what to expect in the next few months. The baby seemed to be growing at an alarming rate. It made him worry about what would happen once the baby was born. Would it continue to grow that quickly? Would he and Rey even have a chance to enjoy their child's young years? He didn't even know how much longer they would have to enjoy the pregnancy. He hoped there was still some time left. Ben wanted to be able to spoil Rey and give her a good pregnancy experience.

As if hearing her name, Rey began to stir, turning over so that she was facing him as she opened her eyes. When she saw him, a gentle smile crossed her lips and she sighed. "Good morning." Ben returned her smile and brushed her cheek with his fingers. "Good morning, my dear wife." He said while kissing the tip of her nose. His comment made Rey smile even more as yesterday's memories began flooding their minds. Rey sat up, the covers falling as she did, revealing her growing belly. Ben couldn't pull his eyes away from the entirety of her. Her body was transfixing. Rey noticed his apparent abstraction and hurried to pull the sheet up so as to cover herself again. Ben sensed her insecurity and reached out to take her hand. "Please don't worry." She paused and Ben nodded softly. "May I?" Rey nodded and Ben reached out gently, laying a hand on her stomach.

Rey placed her hand over his, shifting their hands to where she felt the baby moving. It was truly amazing, and Ben marveled at the small human growing inside his beautiful wife. Their little miracle. Ben smirked. They were all a miracle. The miracle of life. Both his and Rey's and their baby's. It just showed how important life truly was and gave him a constant reminder as not to waste it. But he didn't truly need a reminder. Ben knew he would never again turn away from those who loved him. Never again would he waste the precious gift of life. Ben knew he was blessed to have all that he did, despite everything he had done. Most who had followed in his footsteps had a much worse fate and Ben knew to cherish every moment of the new life he had been given.

After a couple minutes of holding one another, Ben got out of bed and put a robe on. Rey began to do the same, but he stopped her. "Oh no, you, dear wife, are going to stay in bed this morning." Rey opened her mouth to contend but Ben raised a hand to silence her. "And that's final." He leaned down and kissed her cheek softly. Rey bit her lip, trying to maintain her stance as he traced her shoulder blades with his fingertips. "Stay here," he whispered. "I won't be long. I promise." Rey sighed irritably, giving in with a nod. Ben grinned, nudging her neck with his nose. Rey tilted her head, leaning into his face as he tickled her neck with his nose. The sound of her laughter was only comparable to the chimes of bells. Ben scrunched up his nose as the hair on the nape of her neck ticked his cheeks.

"I'll be right back," Ben promised as he made his way out of their bedroom. He hurried down the hall to the kitchen so that he could make Rey and himself some breakfast. Ben would serve her breakfast in bed every day for the rest of her pregnancy if he was able. If he was capable of anything, it was cooking. Having to make his own meals for years, Ben had gained some culinary skills to be proud of. He smiled as he pulled some eggs, bacon, vegetables, and butter out of the refrigerator and set them on the counter. Then, while the bacon was cooking, he mixed together some batter for pancakes. Ben quickly flipped the bacon and poured the pancake batter into a separate pan in three even circles. As those were cooking, he mixed the eggs with the previously chopped onions, peppers, and his prepared seasonings.