Chapter Thirteen - Found

When Ben finally lulled Rey to sleep, which didn't take very long, he laid her down gently and placed his old sweater under her head. She sighed softly and curled into a ball as a small smile spread across her lips. Ben reached out and brushed the back of his hand across her cheek. Her skin was so soft and warm. Ben sighed. All these weeks of desire, longing for physical contact had made him grow restless. Now, finally, he was able to touch her and hold her and kiss her. Ben intended to give her all the affection she desired and even more so. He had been so stupid and stubborn these past few months. Ben scoffed. More like years. He wished so desperately that he could turn back the clock and change every wrong decision. Ben shook his head and sighed. Now wasn't the time to regret past mistakes.

   Once he was sure she was settled, Ben began to search for a way out. The moons had passed over the island and the cave had become very dark. The pitch black made it hard for Ben to see, but it seemed the only exit was the hole at the top of the cave. Ben groaned. How was he going to get Rey out of there safely? The question crossed his mind as to how she exited the cave last time. Ben turned back to Rey as the answer came to him. They were going to have to rely on the Force. But did they have enough strength to get out of the cave solely using the Force? It was going to take a lot of energy. Ben looked down at Rey. He supposed it was a good thing she was resting then. Hopefully she regained some energy. Ben knew that he should probably get some rest too, or he would never get out of the cave.

So, Ben laid down beside her and pulled her into his arms. He smiled as he looked down at her peaceful face. Instead of the twisted, pained expression that she used to don when she slept, Rey's expression now portrayed a calm stillness. Ben had a feeling this was the most tranquil sleep she'd had in a long while. Ben shifted so that Rey laid on his chest now, not wanting her on the cold, stone ground. He then wrapped his old sweater around her shoulders. Ben sighed as she snuggled closer against him. He hadn't realized how much he had longed for physical contact. She shivered slightly and Ben wrapped his arms around her completely. Nothing gave him more comfort than having her so close. He wanted nothing more than to hold her forever and protect her from any harm that may come.

   It gave Ben comfort to know that he could care for her properly now. Especially with her pregnancy. Ben smiled and let out a soft sigh. It was hard to wrap his mind around the fact that Rey was going to have a baby. His baby. Their child. It was hard to believe that he was going to be a father. Ben shuddered slightly as panic set in. Was he capable of being a father? Ben hardly knew how to be the man Rey needed him to be, let alone the father their child needed him to be. Ben sighed. He didn't want to fail his child like he felt his father had failed him. Ben closed his eyes and bit back his shame. Han had never failed Ben. Ben only thought his father had failed him. But that only meant that even if Ben tried his hardest, the baby could grow up to hate him as he hated his father.

   Exhaustion began to take effect and Ben's eyelids became heavy. He yawned as he shifted to find a more comfortable position and stifled a groan. He laid a hand on Rey's stomach and sighed. The sensation of her life Force, mixed with the baby's steady hum comforted him. Ben decided then and there that he would give this baby as much love and affection as it deserved and more so. He never wanted his child to doubt his love for them or his love for their mother. Ben and Rey were going to train this baby in the ways of the Force and teach their children that though it wasn't a sin to be tempted by the dark side, you must always fight for what is right and never give up hope for what you believe in. He was going to give this baby the perfect life. The life he had always wanted. With loving parents and a safe place to call home.

Ben already knew where they were going to live. Of course, he would make sure Rey liked the planet before claiming it as their home but he had thought it through thoroughly and tried to come to the best decision for both of them. Naboo. Ben figured that Naboo would be the best planet for them to live. It was the homeland of his grandmother and a beautiful and peaceful planet. Ben had considered a few other planets. Tatooine, Coruscant, even Ahch-To. But Ben knew that Tatooine would remind Rey too much of Jakku. Coruscant was too populated, a big city wouldn't be the place to train their children as Jedi's. And Ahch-To wasn't populated enough. Their children would grow up with no physical contact with the outside world. Ben yawned as his eyes drifted shut. He'd planned it all out. Naboo would be the perfect home for his family.