Chapter 5

He was brilliant. Kento stared at the leopard with a wonderful gleam in his eye. Sure, he had seen documentaries on wild cats, and there's always one in a zoo, but having a real, living, breathing leopard just a few yards away from you was like a dream come true for the fanboy.

The leopard on the other hand, was terrified. This was the first human to stare him in the eye directly and the small cat was not at all prepared. He hissed in alarm and backed into the corner of the already small cage. Kento saw this fear, and attempted to calm down, the smile painted on his face was a sign of his utter failure.

This was his. He had his own leopard.

How on Earth could he calm down? Every person has that dream of being the one with an animal bond. Having a wild creature who only listens to you and you alone. Something that will love you and treat you like one of their own. And now Kento was someone whose dream has come true.

Now to actually tame the leopard.

"Hello, little one. I'm Kento, the person who bought you."

Silence.

"Are you ready to go?"

Silence.

"You do know he can't talk, right?"

Both Kento and the leopard's attention was now on the newcomer, also known as Kento's coworker.

"Shut up, Alexis. I'm trying to connect with him."

"Connect? That sounds stupid. You do know he's an animal, right? There is no 'connecting' by talking. Why not go over and hug him? Oh wait, it's because he's a FUCKING LEOPARD."

Startled by the sudden uproar, the small cat growled in warning, causing Alexis to jump.

"See!? He'll kill me! He'll kill you!"

Rolling his eyes in obvious annoyance, Kento sighed.

"I'll kill you if you keep it up."

Ignoring his comment, Alexis continued.

"Where are you even going to place him? You live in a modern house, not a mansion!"

"He can roam around."

"Are you fucking serious?! You want a fully grown leopard to walk around your house?"

"Adolescent, actually."

"I don't give a flying fuck. Point is, I brought you here to get something cute, like a ferret, rabbit, bird, sheep, deer, or even a regular cat! But this? No. I didn't talk you into joining me to an exclusive auction for you to get a predatory death machine!"

"Then why bring me to a place that specifically sells wild animals?"

"To get a harmless herbivore!"

"That sounds like a damn snooze show to me. Seriously, what did you want me to get, a fish? When there's a leopard!? No way."

While the two fought over what wild should've been purchased, the leopard started to grow uncomfortable as waves of angry pheromones radiated from the pair. It was like watching your parents fight. Not knowing what to do, he sat down, uneasy yet bored with the conversation.

"See, he's being adorable! He even yawned! How can he possibly hurt me?"

As Kento said this, he walked closer to the cage. The leopard, now aware what was going on, jumped up and gave out a small yet intimidating rawr, causing Kento to step back in dismay. Once he saw the fearful look in the leopard's glowing green eyes, he took a step back. It was quite obvious to anyone that the wild cat was not prepared for any close encounter.

"He hates you. How is this gonna work out exactly?"

"Shut up. Get my car and bring it to the front door. We'll be out in a minute."

Sighing, Alexis gave up her attempt to save her coworker/friend and left the room, closing the door behind her out of habit.

Now left in the dark, Kento sat down on the floor. He could feel the perceptive gaze of the leopard on him as silence overtook them. Taking this chance to try once more his attempt in communication with his new pet, softly, Kento spoke.

"I'm Kento. I'll be the one taking care of you now. You have nothing to fear, you'll have food, water, warmth, and a companion. Please, understand that I won't hurt you."

Soft purring came from the leopard, but as soon as Kento stood, it vanished into the air. Sighing, Kento pushed the crate. It hurt his fingers to hold onto the metal bar and pull what must have been 300 pound, leopard and metal combined, but with the wheels, the two made it out of the small room and into the smaller car.

The leopard felt cramped, yes, but as Alexis bickered with a nonrespondent Kento, one with a pure, childish smile on his face, it became clear that this may not be as bad as death.