Chapter 16

The smell of fear came off of Kento in overwhelming waves. Yaju scrunched his face, but to no avail. The small male beside him was too terrified. The shifter wasn't stupid. He may have struggled speaking, but it was clear what was going on. The woman had asked where leopard Yaju was.

This was obviously a tense question. Kento didn't want to expose Yaju and Yaju didn't want to be exposed. But the accusing gaze Alexis held was intimidating.

"He, uh, is sleeping. Upstairs. Yeah, he's sleeping upstairs. You don't wanna see him, he's really tired and, um, he'll attack you. Yep."

"Kento Halvera, what did you do with the leopard."

Sweat started to accumulate on Kento's brow. Dammit, Alexis, can't you just mind your own damn business? This smell was becoming too strong for Yaju to handle. It wasn't the same putrid scent of piss that Alexis released, but more of a feeling, like if sour was a smell. The poor boy was frozen.

Yaju was fed up with this, it was clear that Kento had malfunctioned, so as a defense, the larger male took matters into his own hand.

"Sleeping. Leopard sleeping upstairs. Now leave, too smelly."

"Smelly!? SMELLY!? I'll have you know I shower daily, I am in no way smelly. Bye babe, please call me later. And go back to sleep, you look sickly."

On that note, Alexis stomped out the front door, slamming it shut. Kento let out a heavy sigh of relief, falling back into Yaju's arms. He was indeed exhausted. First he was awoken, and then he had to deal with that bullshit. At the moment, Kento wanted nothing more than to pass out for days on end.

Yaju was pleased at the weight in his arms. Slowly, he lifted the light male up and proceeded to carry him bridle style upstairs to bed. The gentle rise and fall of the steps was all Kento needed. This was bliss. The warmth Yaju's body brought was why a leopard was necessary.

Yaju went to place his 'cub' on the bed, when Kento pulled his arm, gesturing the shifter to lay down next to the tired male. Of course, he wasn't gonna deny. The two laid together, limbs entangled. Sleep was calling, and neither were to deny the chance to soak up the company of the other.

While Kento was already long gone, Yaju fell asleep with his last thoughts echoing throughout his mind.

Protect your cub.