Chapter 1: Partners

Maria sighed as she looked out the window of their farmhouse. Her eyes plastered to the fields that she knew all too well. The sound of her father's truck roared in the driveway. He was going to work, leaving her left to walk to school, again. She slowly rose from the bed. Going through the same agonizing routine of waking up, showering, getting dressed, eating breakfast, and fixing her hair. She whisked the brush through her hair. A few strands of pastel, blonde hair sticking up in all directions. After a few minutes of running a flat iron through her hair, she was ready. Slipping on her black boots and jacket, she tied her hair into a ponytail and began to walk down the dirt road toward town. Maria was a quiet girl. She never argued, making that her biggest weakness. Maria let out a groan as she reached the school, walking across the front parking lot, and into the large concrete building.

Maria took her seat in the right-hand corner of the room in the back. She collapsed into the chair, letting out a small groan. Maria got out her English book and placed her notebook inside it, giving the illusion she was paying attention.

Halfway through class she already had various sketches in her notebook. Each represents a part of her that is broken. She carefully shaded the broken heart as the door opened. In stumbled another student, who was always late to class, Daryl Dixon. Her breath was caught. "Mr. Dixon, pleasure you join us today." Maria listened closely to Mr. Hawkins as he spoke with pique in his voice. Daryl stumbled to the back of the class, taking the only seat left, which was to the left of Maria. She used her hair to hide her face as he slumped into the chair. He lay his head down for a short moment, looking Maria in the eye; then he slowly put his eyes to rest. Maria couldn't control the luxury of sitting next to him. He scarcely noticed her. He probably didn't even know her name, but she didn't mind. She found him compelling.

The class was almost over and her mysterious classmate was still asleep. Mr. Hawkins walked back and slammed a hand onto the desk, causing Daryl to jump out of his seat. "Pay attention." Mr. Hawkins was stern with his demand. Daryl sat up in his chair. "Now. In the next few weeks, you will have a partner. Together, you will write a short story. I have already picked your partners." The class groaned as Mr. Hawkins started reading off names. "Jamie and Ben. Michelle and Brian. Maria and Daryl..." he continued speaking but she froze. She felt a knot in her stomach. Her breathing was now uneven. "This will be an out-of-class assignment. You will have to schedule plans outside of school with each other." The bell rang. "Have a nice day." Maria looked over at Daryl and he had a vacant look on his face. Maria grabbed her books and rushed towards biology, without saying a word to Daryl.

All through biology, Maria thought about Daryl and how they would get this project done. As class ended Maria rushed towards her locker trying to avoid the other students. She shut her locker and jumped in fright as Daryl was leaning against the lockers beside hers. She froze. "Meet me in the parkin' lot after school." He said, and then left her in confusion.

As the day went on, Maria almost killed herself trying to figure out what Daryl could have wanted. Was it about the project? When the final bell rang, she ran to her locker and grabbed her bag. Maria walked out into the student parking lot and saw Daryl leaning against a motorcycle. She briskly walked over to him. Daryl handed her a helmet, "Get on." She wanted to reject his offer, but she couldn't help herself. Maria nodded, slipping the helmet on, and bringing her left leg over the bike. "Hold on." He said. Daryl was straightforward and never said much. She awkwardly put her hands on his shoulders, trying not to touch him and make him uncomfortable. He tensed up a bit, but then soon relaxed as they started driving down the road. She remembered that she never asked him where they were going, but soon recognized the area; they were pulling into her driveway.

Daryl stopped the bike and got off, standing in front of Maria. She took off the helmet. Maria was a little nervous that Daryl knew where she lived. Maria stared at him with admiration, noticing how his black T-shirt clung to his body. She cursed herself on the inside. Maria slowly got off the bike. She was scared that if she bumped it, the bike would fall over. Daryl let out a small chuckle. Maria felt her face heat up from embarrassment.

She walked past Daryl without looking at him. Just because he was here, didn't mean she was going to act differently. They walked across the stale soil that is known as her driveway. When they reached the house, Maria unlocked the door, which meant her father wasn't home yet, and he wouldn't be for a long time. She couldn't let her father find Daryl, it'd be a nightmare for both of them. "Make yourself at home. I'll be down in a minute." Those were Maria's first words to him. She ran upstairs, changing into a dress and cowgirl boots as usual. Every day after school Maria would dress up and go see her mother.

She walked down the steps with grace. Daryl was leaning against the counter and he watched as her hips swayed. Maria grabbed her notebook and a pen, "Come on," She said. Daryl followed behind her as they walked through the field. "Where's yer' dad?" he asked. Maria felt a conversation coming. "Work," She simply replied. "Yer' mother?" his voice was soft. Maria didn't answer for a moment. "Right here," She said. Maria pointed to the headstone, "I come here every day, so give me a few minutes." Daryl nodded curtly and saw the pain in her eyes. There was a reason her eyes were like that. He was determined to find out why.