↞Chapter 13↠

Jerome's P.O.V.

Maybe I could get used to this. My mum was now almost permanently moved into the guest room, a suitcase full of her clothes unloaded into the drawers. She was quite content to look after Kai during the day, when I was recording or working, which somewhat surprised me. Maybe she missed this? My youngest sister was almost 20 now- she hadn't held a newborn that she considered her own for that long.

Because of that, I was able to record and edit without much difficulty. Sure I was more tired than normal, running round cooking and cleaning and looking after Kai when my mum was out getting groceries, but I was able to keep to my schedule without much struggle.

One month ticked past, then two and I was getting used to living this life. I looked forward to leaving my office to see my sons cheeky smile, his hands grabbing for me. It gave me hope that this was the sort of thing I could learn to live with, that I was accept the role that had been thrust onto me. And after those two months, I was finding that I really didn't mind. I looked forward to seeing him, to raising him, to feeding and changing and bathing him because I knew he was my son and he was my responsibility.

Despite the happiness at home though, there was something else worrying me. That something was a someone actually, and that someone was Mitch. We hadn't seen each other in almost three months now, he refused to let me come around to his place and despite my begging and my worry for him, he didn't talk to me outside of recording either. I tried, I really did, I even considered going down to his house and surprising him but I eventually decided against it, it was an invasion of his privacy and he clearly did want me to be around there, so I would wait until he relented and allowed me around.

Kai let out something that sounded slightly like a crow, waving a fist in the air as I waved some sort of kiddy toy above his head, gently teasing him. He loved this sort of thing and hearing him crack up into giggles was one of my favourite things because it was a happy sound, a genuinely amazing noise that made me remember exactly what I did this for. I did this for him.

"Jerome!" My mum called as I rocked Kai, whispering softly to him to get him to sleep. "I'm going out to get groceries, do you need anything? I'm going to get stuff for Kai."

"Don't think so." I called back, quieter though as to not disturb Kai. "I've got everything I need."

She poked her head around the door and nodded to me, smiling a bit.

"I'll be back soon. Hopefully he sleeps." She said, before disappearing out the front door.

"I hope so too." I mumbled to myself, smiling. Kai slept on, unaware and completely content.

-------------------------------------------------

I was in the middle of a solo recording when a Skype call from Mitch came through and in surprise I almost dropped my mouse, barely picking up in time. I did manage to though, blinking as a picture of Mitch filtered onto my screen- my heart started beating again though, because he looked better.

"Hey Mitch." I said quietly, managing to smile. "You look a little better." He shrugged, seeming listless.

"I guess, yeah." He mumbled.

"What's up? Why'd you call?"

"I- I don't really know." He shifted in his seat, glancing away from the screen. "I haven't been able to record anything or edit anything and I just want to talk I guess."

"Do you want to talk or do you want me to talk?" I mused, smiling, because I knew the answer.

"Can you... can you talk?"

"Of course I can. I'm actually in the middle of a recording so you could listen to that if you want?" He nodded. "Okay then. I'll get back into it. Just sit back, relax and beware the shit storm that is this recording!"

That earned a small smile and he leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes. I was quite happy to let him sit in on this recording, especially since it meant I knew he was okay, well, at least alive. He didn't look like he was all that okay but at least we were back on speaking terms now.

Half way through the recording I noticed his eyes slipping shut and I couldn't help but smile to myself, winding down to make sure he stayed asleep. He didn't look at all comfortable but he was asleep, which was a win in my book. I knew there was something, something big weighing on his mind but maybe this was the first step in getting him to open up to me. He knew he could trust me especially after what we had been through together as kids, going to school together, the bullying and his transition. He was a completely different person than he had been as a kid but maybe that was because he was more confident in himself, happier and more open. Something had changed though and I wanted to know what.

-------------------------------------------------

Kai was only a few days off three months old when mum had to go home for a little while, leaving me alone with him. It made me worry and I had to talk myself out of begging her to stay a couple of times because I really wasn't sure I was ready to be alone. She managed to smile when I said it to her face, giving me a tight hug and tapping Kai on his nose to hear his musical laugh.

"You'll be fine Jerome." She whispered, seeing my pained looked as she placed her suitcase into the boot of her car. "You have my number and you can call at any time of the day, I promise. I'll be back in a week or two but I just need to look after your dad for a little while."

"Don't run yourself down." I managed to mumble, rocking Kai.

"I'll say the same for you." She said with a smile, pressing a kiss to his head. "I love you two, I'll see you soon."

I stood in the driveway long after her car had disappeared into the distance, staring down the road. It was gonna be a long few weeks.