Darkness

Dark.

I've known that all my life. I was born blind and grew up happy all the same. My parents loved me no matter what until they passed in a car accident a few years back. Since then I've lived my life here in our old home I inherited. It was only me getting around in this large place for a long time.

That was until one day I bumped into some one that was standing in front of the bathroom door. When it first happened I screamed and called the police thinking I was being robbed. They found nothing.

Then it happened again a few days later. Then again. And again. And again.

After 2 months I stopped calling the police. They told me to move but I don't want to. I love my families home. The new security didn't keep the person out so I gave up. The person never hurts me, or speak. But they lets me touch and guide my way around them.

Sometimes I even hear them following me around. I tried speaking to them once and got silence in return. So I stopped.

At first they only came about twice a week. But now I'm sure they live with me. They are in the same spots each day on a routine. In the morning they are by the bathroom. By lunch they are sitting beside me in the living room on the couch. By the afternoon they are wondering the kitchen area. By night fall they are standing by my bedroom. They don't stand their long and usually move away after I touch them once or twice around the shoulders.

They were actually smaller then me.

I used to wonder if it was a killer. I still was frightened of the silent house mate I have.

But after a 1 year had passed with this person I treated it like a normal thing. I wasn't being hurt and they seemed to like being around me.

Pretend its normal and it helps.

Then it happened. I heard them speak. It sounded like a young man. He was cursing at someone else that was in my home. The sound of a fight started and I tried to follow my way up the stairs to it. A solid and heavy body hit mine once I reached the top. I yelped and started to fall backwards.

As I tumbled down the steps and landed harshly at the bottom the fighting sounds stopped. I coughed, trying to get my breathing back to normal. As I rolled onto my side another strange male voice filled the air.

"You were told....to stop this..."

"No....I want to be here and you can't stop me." Was that who was always here? What are they talking about.

"You have to come back. A blind man won't do any good for you. Just listen to me."

"Fuck you."

I started to push myself up in a sitting position. Rubbing my arm I winces as I touched my elbow lightly. I was sure that would be sore for a while.

"He doesn't even know who you are...."

"......thats why I stayed...."

It was silent for a while and I thought they had left. But as I moved to stand up the sound of heavy foot steps started coming down the stairs towards me. I backed up and stopped as I felt furniture behind me. The foot steps moved closer and closer before they stopped and I felt body heat against me.

Suddenly the person spoke, a low hushed whisper by my ear. "He's going to kill you soon....."

The words sent a shiver down my spin. As the body moved away and the foot steps faded silence filled the air. It was silent and I felt the drops of tears rolling down my cheeks.

I knew the other was standing not far. Watching me. He was always watching me. 

Suddenly he spoke, loud and clear. "He's right.....one day I will kill you.....I have to."

He said it so calmly I almost thought I was going crazy. Why hasn't he been did it? What's stopping him? Why me? Its been a whole year of this...why?

Gaining my strength back in my legs I forced myself to stand back up. I turned into the direction of the voice and swallowed down my fear. "I know...."

It doesn't matter why. I knew it was dangerous to ignore this. I tried to get help but it only made me look paranoid.

Silence was all that was returned to me. I quickly turned to the stairs and went up them to my bed room. Closing myself away inside it I laid in my bed to hide away. I knew he was just on the other side of my door. Waiting.

Just pretend. Always pretend.

The next morning I woke up and sighed at the pain on my elbow. Ignoring it and heading to the bathroom I reached out to guild myself. My hand landed on a soft chest by the bathroom door and I knew it was him. He said nothing and I said nothing. Slowly I felt my way around the body and moved inside the bathroom.

A sandwich for lunch today sounds nice.

End