EIGHT

Blood work done, and a shot in the arm. They stopped for lunch. "What did the suits want?"

"Why do you guys call them suits?" She asked back.

"It's not derogatory." He shrugged. "One, they wear suits. Two, they're not blue collar. I wouldn't see them at the construction site, tarring a roof with me and Kirk, or working at the mechanic shop with Pat. They're clean. Besides, they were wearing suits."

"Brains versus hammer you mean?"

"Of a sorts, but then again. I don't know anything about them other than you spend time with them." Pointing with a french fry, "as you said, work related."

Sitting back, she tossed her french fry back into the basket, "great. Now I am a suit."

"With a fantastic ass, but yes."

"That doesn't mean dirt. In fact, the guys invited us along for a beach visit. My girlfriends are put out that we haven't had time to visit."

Scrunching his brows, "the same group from the bar the night we wheeled in?" She nodded. "Okay. That makes sense on where they're familiar from. Sure. Set it up." Picking up his drink, "you have a bikini right?"

"I honestly don't know."

"Bikini shopping first. I can help in the changing room." Wiggling his brows.

Picking up her fry again, "blood tests are not back yet."

"Shot is effective though, I asked."

"It is. I have a, well a thing, pathogens and such. I don't have a clue as to your panty-count. So, for the next 24 hours, you are wrapped."

Laughing, "panty count?" Smiling, "not as many as you think, I've been a single father since my kids were born. What's the deal about pathogens? You have an OCD? Germaphobe?"

"Not really," feeling her stomach roll a bit, "it's work related. I know more than most, so I am more careful. Hence, stripping on your front patio."

"Yeah. That was awkward," twisting his face a bit. "On the flip, you didn't seem worried when your mouth-." Catching the way her brow lifted, he stopped and grinned.

Picking up her hand, he kissed it. Leaning to the side, he pulled out his phone. "Yeah?" His smile turned grim, "Alright. On our way." Scooting out of the booth, "we need to go baby."

Sending his urgency, she slid out of the booth, "James. What's going on?"

Throwing several bills on the table, "cops are at my place."

As soon as they pulled into the drive,  his boys dropped the ball and ran to him. Lisa went over to the Officer in charge and pulled him aside. They were there for questioning, waiting for the home owner to appear. Until then, the guys played catch with the boys.

At her request, the Chief had been called over and showed up ten minutes later. As he pulled up, she stood from James' lap and turned to the table, "don't say anything until I am back."

James stood up so quickly his chair flipped, startling the kids. Kirk at a slower pace, but with a similar look on his face.

Reaching up, took off his signature black ballcap and reversed it, "trust me."

A slight glance over his shoulder, was Donald, sitting smug with a smirk on his face. Looking back up at the worried man in front of her, "I'm your Ol' Lady, is that so?" He nodded, "that has to mean something." She ran her fingers over his brow piercing down his cheek to his lip piece. "If it does, you are to stay here and play ball with your sons."