TWENTYONE

Back at the club house, left Pat to handle questions. After checking on the boys went down the hall to a room they had claimed. Sitting on the side of the bed review the nights events. They did it.

James came in a few minutes later. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I need to tell you something though." He sat beside her. "Did you know Debbie?"

"A great woman. Loving and smart," a small smile, "sarcastic, funny. Why?"

Sighing, she told him what happened earlier in the evening, then of the short time she was in his room. "James, it wasn't something I planned. Just happened."

"I know that baby." He looked at her, "do you have any idea how truly beautiful you are. My brother is having drug induced hallucinations and you still have a healing hand to relieve his pain."

Why wasn't he mad, "I kissed him."

"No. He kissed his wife. You. You were just a comfort. A vessel. What you said you told him, he needed to hear." He wiped away a tear from her cheek, "he has been a shell of the man he was before. You brought him comfort." He took her hand, rubbing his thumb over her ring finger. "I confronted him."

In shock, "about what?"

"You." Pulling the bill down a tad more to cover his eyes. "I started to feel jealous over your friendship. The whole love and hate thing. The way you two razz each other."

"It's not like that."

"That is what he said, but I felt it. Baby," his head dipped, more softly, "I almost offered him a chance to be with you."

"What!?"

"You and me. I am solid on that," removing the hat altogether, "I want us. You two," he let out a sigh, "he could make you happy too."

Sighing, "that isn't how it works."

"I know. I know!" He stood. "I saw it in my head that it could be. Both of us could make you happy. Then your face crossed my eyes, and... I fucked up."

"Just a little." She sighed. "He wrestled a psychopath to the ground to save me from a dirty syringe. He's drugged up and hallucinating in a hospital ward. I led him to believe I am his deceased wife and kissed him."

"And I got possessive and jealous."

"Pretty much." Face in her hands now, "I can see it from your view though. I'm sorry."

"No. Baby, no. The love you have for my friends, theirs for you, it's good. We talked about this, it's fine. As a club... We, - babe, they'll always have your back and look out for you. With Pres, I just saw it as more. He could make you happy baby, with me."

"We called a truce. He said we'd be enemies or the closest of friends."

"A queen to our king, a natural leader. I messed up." Sighing, "I can't help how much I love you. Anything that would make you happy..."

A small flicker of a conversation with his VP crossed her mind, 'one word, you'll have us on our knees Lisa.'

"James. I love you." Letting out a sigh, "let's put this aside, we need to sleep."

* * *

"That fucker hit like a bitch. Barely a mark." Kirk looked over her cheek.

"Your love taps are better, like I said. Quit cussing, I don't like it." The table chuckled over her joke. She was doing her best to downplay the events.

"You know it." He bent down pecking her cheek. "How soon do we leave?"

"As soon as Alex gets back from taking the boys to school." She picked up the breakfast plates and bowls. Taking them to the back room.