NINE

Monday morning, Lisa walked into the conference room. "Chief."

Looking up from his paperwork, "Dave took the newbie to get coffee."

"Which department again?"

"Homicide. Have a seat. We'll start when they get back." 

She sat down and placed the briefcase on the floor. "Dr. Kimball sent you the report?"

"In the clear. I assume there hasn't been any other incidents I need to know about."

Smiling, "not at the moment. I'll keep you updated though."

The door opened, Dave and Grant walked in, "Alright, one last introduction. Dr. Gavin, this is Detective Matthews, transfer from Florida. Homicide."

Dave was setting a coffee on the table for her. As he moved aside, "oh my god."

VP smiled, "you could say that. Good to see you too. Definitely clears a lot up."

"Have a seat.” Chief stated, looking between the two. “I assume you two know each other?" 

"Lis- well, Dr. Gavin is dating my best friend."

Chief looked over at Lisa, "the MC house?"

 "Disbanded. There is no MC, just good friends." Scott responded on her behalf.

"Right. As he said," Lisa went with it. 

Chief sat back in his chair, "before we start, any issues I need to know about?"

"We're clear." Scott replied. 

"Clear." Lisa replied, then got up and got a bottle of water. "Let's begin," as she sat down.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Scott asked as they walked out of the precinct.

Smiling, "you weren't forthcoming either. I thought you worked with Pat at the shop."

"I do. Kinda. Dr. Gavin... shit, doesn't that just tickle it all."

Laughing, "you're telling me. Detective Matthews, how long on the force?"

"Eleven years. You?"

"Too long. I'm in between. Wanted to be a doctor, then additional courses for Criminology. So I balance between the two. Nine years total."

"Alright. That explains the gun." Running a hand over the back of his neck, his easy going demeanor changed. "Why haven't you spilled the rest? You could have said something." His VP came out and it wasn't pretty to anyone who knew the two sides of him.

"Scott, you're intimidating me. You need to take a step back."

He took another step forward, his voice harsh, "why Lisa? Why drag James and the rest of us through it?"

"I didn't drag you anywhere! I merely kept you out of my career, the friendship still stands."

"Lisa, I am going to lose my patience. Explain!"

Lifting her chin, "really want to know why? How would you feel if you knew your wife spent her work days hovering over a corpse. Digging out organs and toxicology samples. The sick, tragic and natural causes. The old and young. Babies. Then came home to you. Men." She took a breath to calm her rapidly exploding emotions.

Saying it out loud for the first time ever, "men run too Scott. They run when they find out I spend my days doing autopsies. Attending crime scenes. Men, the good ones... They want Betty Crocker and Donna Reed, home and hearth!"

Wiping the tear from her cheek. "In a male dominated career, what's the divorce rate for the task force? Homicide? Jody's while the servicemen are overseas. He'll find out. He'll leave." Losing her calm, her breath caught. "Just like the others." Wiping her face again, "James and the boys. I want it all... they'll pull away. What little bit of h-happy I have will be s-s-snatched away."