SIX

CHAPTER SIX

BRANDON HYNES

● ● ●

I like your shoes too. I texted before I put my phone away.

"Guys. I have great news," I said to my friends before they even got a chance to sit down.

"What's up?" Zach placed his backpack down and then he hung his coat on the back of his chair before he sat. "You found a new job?"

"No."

Unlike Zach, Angelica didn't look so good when she sat down. "What's the matter?"

"I'm stressed," she said as she started pulling out her notebook and folder.

"It's college so understandable," Zach said.

I punched his arm. "Stop being a dick."

"Ow," he howled as he gently rubbed his arm. "Don't hit me, bitch." He punched me back and goddamn did that shit hurt. "I was just tryna lighten up the mood."

"Bro!" I hollered. I punched him again.

"Brandon!"

"Shhh!" A bunch of people noised.

Angelica sighed. Zach crossed his arms and pouted, and I apologized to everyone. Then I instantly noticed, Tobias laughing at me.

"Ugh," I noised as I slid down in my seat. "Tobias noticed."

"He's going to witness you getting your ass beat in a minute. That shit hurt, man." He lifted up his sleeve and his arm was throbbing red. "Look! I'm all red and shit because of your ass."

I laughed. "It's what she deserves."

Angelica laughed. I was happy to make her laugh. To make her smile.

"Huh?" Zach was so lost.

"Iconic Twitter reaction. Peasants like you wouldn't understand," Angelica said.

"Now what's the matter?" I asked.

"Just school."

"Just school? You sure?"

"Yes and I'm also on my period."

"Okay. Okay. T.M.I much?"

"Zach, shut your damn mouth was I talking to you?"

"You're talking to me now so what's good?"

Angelica massaged her temples. "I can't stand you."

We all laughed but I stopped laughing first because I had something I wanted to say. I was going to say it but it just didn't feel right if I randomly said what I had to say. I needed someone to ask me.

No one asked me. I looked at Angelica who had her head down and then at Zach who was typing away on his phone.

"I have something to say," I said.

They both looked at me. Zach, with his raised brow and Angelica with wide-eyes of confusion. The floor was all mine.

"Tobias is single," I said. "And I'm also asking him to the dance."

Zach patted my back. "Good for you man."

"Thanks. I was actually going to ask him just a few moments ago, but I don't know. It didn't feel like the right time. When I ask him, I want it to be epic. Like a promposal."

"That's a cute idea," Angelica said.

"I know why his ass really wants to do a promposal," Zach said.

"Why?" Angelica asked.

"Because in high school he planned this big promposal for Carhoe but didn't get to do it because Garlos beat him to it."

I laughed at the stupid nicknames he gave my ex. "Garlos? Seriously?"

"But I'm right, aren't I?"

"Yes, actually. You are."

"Aye!" Zach wore a big grin.

"But I might need a little bit of help coming up with some ideas."

"Of course we'll help," Angelica said.

"I'll drop some ideas in the group chat if I have any."

"Thank you, guys."

"There's no turning back either. You have to ask him out by Valentine's Day or else I'm kicking your ass out."

"What? Zach, it's not just your apartment."

"Until you get another job, it is. I said what I said. You're asking him out."

"And that's on period," Angelica added.

I smiled. "Okay. Okay. I promise you guys; I will."

And when I promised something I meant it. My Valentine's Day proposal was going to be epic. I just hoped Tobias liked epic.

● ● ●