TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY
FEBRUARY 17TH, MONDAY

BRANDON HYNES

● ● ●

I didn't wanna go to class. I didn't wanna see Tobias. I didn't even wanna get out of bed.

"Brandon bro, you gotta get up."

I threw the blankets from over my face and groaned. "I know," I whined. "I just don't want to. I'm sure missing one day of lecture wouldn't be too bad."

"You remember when I said that shit? Failed my test the following week. College ain't no joke, man."

"True and I'm not tryna fail either." I sighed and sat up. "I guess I have to go then."

"Yup. Just ignore Toebyebitch."

I laughed at the stupid name he gave Tobias. "You and these names."

"You like them?"

"Not really. They're dumb."

"But that's what makes them funny."

"True."

"Now get up or else you'll have to catch the bus."

"I'm getting up!" I got up and stretched. "Wait for me in the living room. I'll be ready in a few."

"Good because all we have is a few."

Needless to say, I wasn't ready in a few. It was more like a few to the 3rd power. Zach got mad at me because not only was I late for class but so was he. I apologized because I really did lose track of time in the shower but Zach didn't really accept it.

He just kept his mouth shut tightly.

I knew that I was gonna have to make it up to him but before I could make it up to him, I had to go to my Mirco class first where Tobias was.

The door squeaked loudly when I opened it and everyone looked at me including Tobias. He had a new haircut, and it looked really nice. He looked really nice actually, but I didn't care because a new haircut didn't make up for the text he sent.

I glared at him with the intention of hurting his feelings and then I sat in front of him where I always sat.

I couldn't help but wonder if he was staring at me. I had a feeling he was. I could feel his eyes glued to the back of my head during lecture. To look at him, without making things too obvious, I twisted my body in my seat like I always did to stretch and then I looked at him.

He looked sad. His eyes were red, and I could've sworn I saw a tear.

Why was he sad? He was the one who basically broke up with me through text.

Then I started thinking deeper into the situation.

Maybe there was a legit reason for why he didn't come, and what he texted was just a dumb way of keeping me out of his business.

At that point, I was being optimistic because that was highkey a reach.

Since I hated thinking about things too hard or too much, I decided to approach Tobias after class to find out the truth. If he really wasn't into me or whatever the heck he said through text, then he at least owed me an explanation.

"Tobias," I called out.

He was walking down the hall, but he wasn't going to the library like he usually did. He stopped and turned to me.

"Why did you not want to go to the dance with me? What did I do?"

"What are you talking about?"