I

June, 1885

The road is quiet as Mr. Darcy and I walk down the pathway towards the Lucas'. I think to myself, trying to compose kind words into my head for my resolution with Darcy to be executed. I hold my head up high as I speak the words,

  "Mr. Darcy, I am a very selfish creature; and, for the sake of giving relief to my own feelings, care not how much I may be wounding yours. I can no longer help thanking you for your unexampled kindest to my poor sister. Ever since i have known it, I have been most anxious to acknowledge to you how gratefully I feel it. Were it known to the rest of my family, i should not have merely my own gratitude to express."

  "I am sorry, exceedingly sorry," Darcy replies with surprise lacing his words, "that you have ever been informed of what may, in a mistaken light, have given you uneasiness. I did not think Mrs. Gardiner was so little to be trusted."

  "You must not blame my aunt. Lydia's thoughtlessness first betrayed to me that you had been concerned in the matter; and, of course, I could not rest till I knew the particulars. Let me thank you again and again, in the name of my family, for that generous compassion which induced you to take so much trouble, and bear so many mortifications, for the sake of discovering them."

  "If you will thank me," he replied, "let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I only thought of you."

  My cheeks heat from the embarrassment and my tongue ceases to form any type of word. I take a short pause to collect my thoughts but before I can speak a word, Darcy adds, "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever."

  "Elizabeth! Elizabeth!" Meredith calls up to the bright honey blonde haired girl, with book in hand, Elizabeth snaps out of her trance as she looks down from the tree branch.

  "Yes, Meredith?" Elizabeth replies back softly as she closes her book, however, she leaves her thumb inside the book to make sure she does not lose her place. Meredith places her hand on her hip and waves her way with the other hand.

  "Your father has called for you. He wishes for you to meet him in his study." Meredith informs Elizabeth. She sighs.

  "Could I just finish this chapter?" Elizabeth tries to compromise. The look of disapproval Meredith flashes up towards her is enough to make Elizabeth remove her thumb from her book. She makes a mental note where she had left off. "Okay..."

  "What ever are we going to do with you, Miss Elizabeth?" Meredith asks rhetorically, Elizabeth laughs to herself as she answers.

  "Oh I have no doubt that father will try and ship me off to some school for girls who have no means but to live a life already planned for them by those who seek to control them, and please Meredith, how much more must I remind you to just call me Elizabeth."

  "Once more, Miss Elizabeth, same as always. Now come down here."

  Elizabeth sighs as she slowly begins her decent from the tall Quercus alba tree. Meredith watches intently, making sure to prepare to catch Elizabeth if any step is mistook. 

  "And maybe if you would do what your father asks, he wouldn't have to threaten the subject so much."

  "There is more to life than just walking around with a book on my head while holding a cup of tea, Meredith." Elizabeth argues as she plants her small heeled shoes back down into the bright green grass.