VII

Elizabeth finds herself staring out of the stagecoach window up at the blue sky that had dotted fluffy white clouds that drifted lazily in the gentle breeze. The ride towards town seemed to take longer than her usual trips. Elizabeth interlocks her fingers tightly as the stagecoach begins to get closer towards town.

The only way she convinced Leviticus to let her leave to town without cause was to lie; saying she wanted to find a new dress for her now rescheduled dinner with Patrick and his father. Elizabeth's leg begins to bounce uncontrollably as the driver of the coach turns down the stone road of Saint Luton.

The streets were full of men and women taking their afternoon walks. Some men can be seen with other male friends smoking expensive cigars or women walking with their husbands.

Elizabeth begins to fix up her white dress with a black floral design by straightening up the buttons up her chest and wiping off her skirt. The knot in her stomach returns from yesterday as the coach reaches the outside of Hardy Park; the place has been one of Elizabeth's favorite places to come when she visits town due to it's lack of people and big open field.

The stagecoach comes to a complete stop directly in the front entrance. Elizabeth waits patiently for the driver to help her step out. Soon, the door is opened by the nicely dressed driver with his hand extended out.

"Ready, madam?"

Elizabeth responds by placing her hand in his and flashes him a sweet smile. Once Elizabeth is standing on the road, she looks into the park, seeing Arthur sitting on a park bench. Arthur's back is against the support of the bench while his legs are spread out. The further that Elizabeth steps towards Arthur she notices that he's also smoking a cigarette.

Arthur happens to look over in Elizabeth's direction when he sees her, he crookedly smiles once before smoking the last bit of his cigarette and throwing it to the ground.

Elizabeth takes notice to Arthur's outfit; the dark burgundy buttoned up shirt with light brown suspenders along with light brown corduroy trousers that Arthur had picked out mixed very well together. The hat on top of his head pulled the entire outfit together; the worn beat-up leather had an odd appeal to it, especially with the two layers of rope wrapped as the band.

"Well... I was wonderin' when you'd show up!" Arthur groans out as he stands to his feet, Elizabeth giggles.

"Forgive me, I'm afraid I had to lie to make my way out of the house."

"Why? Yo' daddy don't like simple country folk?"

Elizabeth pauses for a second, letting her jaw drop slightly. The young blonde woman shakes her head repeatedly.

"O-Oh no, no, no, no that's not at all what I-"

"I'm, I'm messin' with ya." Arthur chuckles, making Elizabeth's nerves calm instantly, she laughs along with him as well. Arthur shows off the gravel pathway that leads deeper into the park.

"Shall we?" Arthur asks, Elizabeth's cheeks slightly warm as she nods.

The pair begin walking down the pathway in silence, the only sounds that can be heard is the distant wagons rolling along the street along with a few birds singing their joyous tunes. Elizabeth looks down at the ground, too nervous to say a word. Elizabeth swallows the fear down her throat like a glass of needles and glances toward Arthur once, then back toward the gravel.

"How has your day been so far?" Elizabeth asks, trying to stir up a conversation. Arthur shoves his hands in his pockets as the continue walking down the gravel pathway.

"Can't complain..." Arthur starts, Elizabeth just nods her head in response. Arthur follows up after a few seconds of silence, "You?"

"Fine so far."