XIII

Elizabeth's heart feels as if it is about to burst, the rapid thumping making her chest feel tight as she walks with her arm hooked around Patrick's, his hand on top of hers.

 "It's a beautiful night," Patrick starts as he looks up towards the dark sky; the bright moon and stars helping light up the streets. "You know, I was actually shocked when you invited me."

  Patrick's statement had saddened her. Elizabeth never truly meant any malicious intent towards Patrick, the fact that she hurts his feelings most times, is merely an accident. 

  "There's," Elizabeth stops herself, second-guessing her next for words, for when she speaks them... they will never be taken back."There's something I actually wished to talk to you about."

  "Of course, Darling," Patrick says looking towards Elizabeth, she unhooks her arm from his and stands directly in front of him, her eyes focused on the ground. His eyebrows scrunch together once he notices Elizabeth's nervousness. "Are you all right?"

  Patrick tries to lift his hand to her cheek, but she just simply pulls away. "I can't keep doing this Patrick..." She speaks so quietly that Patrick can not even hear her.

  "What?"

  "I can't keep doing this," Elizabeth says a little louder, Patrick finally hearing her. Patrick shakes his head in confusion.

  "What do you mean?" Patrick's voice cracks, but suddenly, he doesn't need an explanation once Elizabeth looks up at him, just a glance telling him all he needs to know.

  "Elizabeth... what has brought this on? We've been fine, if not perfect, for-"

  "You've been fine, Patrick.... not me." 

  Patrick scoffs and shakes his head, tears lacing his eyes. "Of course I've been fine! I love you than anything, Elizabeth..."

  "Do you?"

  "Of course I do!" Patrick says, his voice slightly beginning to raise. Elizabeth shakes her head.

  "Patrick, we were forced into this by our fathers... you can't expect me to just be okay with that!" Elizabeth speaks with the same amount of force Patrick's voice has.

  "I just figured you loved me... so it didn't matter."

  Elizabeth takes Patrick's hands into hers, squeezing them gently to calm him. "Patrick, I do love you... but not in the way you want me to... I would never wish ill upon you, I want you to be happy with someone who can make you happy."

  "You do make me happy, Elizabeth..."

  "Not in the way that I should..." Elizabeth whispers just loud enough for him to hear. She lets go of his hands, "I'm sorry." As she turns to leave, Patrick grabs her tightly by the wrist, stopping her in place. Elizabeth quickly turns her head towards him to see a few tears skimming down his cheeks.

  "What does your father have to say about this?"

  "He has nothing to do with this nor does he dictate who I want to be with," Elizabeth argues, trying to pull her wrist away but Patrick's grip just becomes stronger.

  "Patrick, let me go," Elizabeth demands, but he doesn't listen, he just keeps the same strength as he holds her in place.

  "No, I want to talk about this... you can't just leave after ruining everything we've built!"

  "Everything we've built? We're not even married, nothing is tying us together besides my father! Now, please let me go!" Elizabeth's wrist feels crushed, that the bone could just snap at any second under Patrick's strong grip.