XII

The sweet breeze of warm summer's air blew across Elizabeth's face, making her close her eyes and lean her head back, enjoying the peace. Once her eyes open, she sighs and stares off into the distance. 

  Elizabeth hadn't been the same as of recent; without seeing or hearing from Arthur for more than a week, it had troubled her. The thought of him being upset with her troubled her... but the thought of him possibly being hurt upset her much more. Elizabeth had even tried visiting the general store a few times just to be let down by the sight of the owner. 

  Elizabeth looks back down at the pages of Pride and Prejudice, normally, the sweet literature would enlighten her mood... but her mind could not focus on anything other than Arthur. She looks back up in frustration, firmly shutting the book before resting her chin on her palm.  

"Miss Elizabeth?" A man's soft voice speaks, snapping Elizabeth out of her trance. She looks over to see the gardener standing on the first step of the gazebo's green wooden stairs. "Your presence to the house has been requested."

  Elizabeth sighs, nodding once. "Just a minute,"

  The gardener smiles warmly before stepping down and makes his way back up towards the house. 

  Elizabeth looks down at the table to lift her book, but she pauses; a ladybug is walking along with the cover of the hardback book. Elizabeth bears a bright grin as she extends her index finger towards the insect, letting its tiny legs crawl onto her fingernail. The red and black bug walks on the tip of her finger, making Elizabeth bring the creature closer to her eyes for a better view.

  "Well, aren't you just a beauty?"

  "You're lucky, you know; being able to just fly away whenever your wings feel like spreading. I wonder what that must feel like; the wind up there, seeing the giant world become small," Elizabeth sighs as she stands to her feet, making her way towards the gazebo's steps. "Have safe travels, my friend."

  Elizabeth holds her finger up in the air; the ladybug opens its wings and takes flight. Elizabeth watches as she leans against the beam, smiling towards the sky.

  Her smile slowly fades once she remembers where she is needed, making her walk down the steps and towards her home. She can only imagine it must be her father wanting to start an argument, or in worse cases, send her away to Patrick.

  Elizabeth holds up the front of her teal and green colored dress as she walks up the smooth white stoned steps, dragging her hand against the railing as she continues up the stairs.

  The French-styled doors are opened by a servant woman, her smile glowing as she welcomes Elizabeth back inside of the house. Elizabeth thanks her with a nod before continuing towards the sitting area; that being the only other room in the house that Leviticus spends his time in. 

  Elizabeth's jaw slightly drops at the long-haired woman standing in the middle of the seating area, her back turned to Elizabeth and her hands on her hips as she looks around the overly elegant room.

  Elizabeth's smile begins to grow. "Diana?"

  Hearing that familiar voice, Diana quickly turns around, a grin bearing on her beautiful face. "Lizzy!"

  Elizabeth rushes over to Diana, throwing her arms around her with excitement. Diana warmly wraps her arms around Elizabeth's waist. They rock from side to side as their embrace tightens.

  "It's been too long, Dear Cousin."

  They both pull away before Elizabeth speaks, "I take Father doesn't know you're here."