X

The day dawned crisp and clear as the early sunrise begins to shine down on the sleeping pair. Songbirds begin to sing their high pitched melodies to get a start on a beautiful day. 

  Arthur sleepily shakes his head until his eyes finally open, the sun's golden rays nearly blinding him. Arthur lifts his hand towards the sun in an attempt to alleviate the pain in his eyes. Arthur turns his head and looks at the sleeping woman on his numb arm, a small close-lipped smile forming as he watches her. 

  Elizabeth had used Arthur's arm as a pillow replacement and no matter how uncomfortable Arthur was, he didn't even move an inch. Arthur begins to study her, taking notice of the smallest of things; the small smile lines around her lip area, faint freckles under her eyes and along with her nose, the way her lips are slightly parted while she sleeps. Elizabeth was fascinating to him as if he was looking at a beautiful mystical creature.

  The sleepy man's throat begins to itch as his desperation for a cigarette deepens. It had been almost an entire day since the last time he had smoked, the withdraws had been slowly eating away at him. 

  Elizabeth had begun to shift in her sleep, the sun beginning to interrupt her slumber. Elizabeth places her palm on Arthur's chest and snuggles closer into his side. All the while, Arthur keeps a smile on his face and a warmness in his heart. 

  It only takes around five minutes for Elizabeth's eyes to finally open, she squints as her eyes adjust to the sunlight. Elizabeth gasps loudly and shoots up from Arthur's arm, causing Arthur to lean up.

  "What's the matter?" Arthur asks as Elizabeth stands to her feet, she places her hand on her forehead as her breathing becomes heavy.

  "We slept here?" 

  "Yeah? What's the problem?"

  Elizabeth scoffs as she begins to pace back and forth, her palms becoming moist from the stress. Arthur slowly rises from the grass and picks up his hat, placing it on the top of his head.

  "My Father is the problem! He's going to be... I don't doubt he already has men out looking for me now and if they see me with you then-"

  "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, calm down. I'll take ya home, alright? It's gonna be fine." Arthur cuts off, placing his hands firmly on both of Elizabeth's shoulders. 

  The two stare into each other's eyes for several seconds. Arthur had seen it again... the fear. Elizabeth's blue eyes becoming a lighter shade of blue as salty tears begin to form. The fear was beginning to scare Arthur as well. He had begun to wonder if her father was as bad as he truly seemed.

  The comforting touch from Arthur's generous hands and the calming gleam in his eyes finally began to ease Elizabeth's wired nerves. Her breathing becomes steady as she slowly nods her head.

  "Okay..."

  Arthur smiles sympathetically before placing one of his palms on Elizabeth's soft cheek, making Elizabeth's heart swell. 

  "C'mon,"

  Arthur drops his hands from Elizabeth's body and makes his way towards the cider that was once the source of their heat. Elizabeth turns around, beginning to make her way towards Boadicea, hearing the heavy crunch of Arthur's boot as he stomped down the leftover cinder.

  Elizabeth stands directly in front of Boadicea, reaching her arms up to lightly scratch the beautiful horse's face and snout. Arthur glances over at the two, bringing a small smile across his lips. Arthur reaches around and flips open his satchel for his journal and pencil. Once he flips to a free page, he begins to quickly sketch Elizabeth and Boadicea in the space.