III

The passing minutes begin to seem like hours as Patrick and Elizabeth strolls along the sidewalk right next to the grand pond, Elizabeth's arm hooked around Patrick's to put on the display of a loving couple, it surely fools the nearby strangers around them.

Elizabeth's mind begins to wander as she stares down at the ground in front of them. She has never heard someone talk so highly of themselves in all her life until she met Patrick, and that was saying something considering living with her Father for the past eighteen years of her life. Patrick was not all that bad. He has a good heart and Elizabeth knows that, it's just slowly being tainted by the persuasion and darkness of his Father.

Patrick would do anything for his Father's approval, even if that meant marrying the town's richest heiress. Of course, Patrick did not mind the thought of marrying Elizabeth, for his love was true and pure.

"Elizabeth?" Patrick's voice snaps Elizabeth's mind out of it's trance. Her neck quickly turns to Patrick, his expression holding confusion. "Are you alright, Dear?"

Elizabeth laughs softly to herself and nods reassuringly.

"Oh yes! I'm fine, just... lost in thought."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't myself, lost in thought, that is."

Elizabeth looks over at the pond watching the tiny mosquitos fly above the water to have a sip of the darker blueish green water. A few ducks are seen swimming around together in the water as well, enjoying and taking in the bright sun.

"The past few days have been... confusing to say the least. Waking up and thinking about my life and what the future could have in store... quite troublesome."

Elizabeth looks back over at Patrick, only now noticing his eyes have been on her. She shrugs once.

"Why worry about the future when you can live here, in the present?"

Patrick chuckles, a light smile gleaming across his face. He turns to look at the gorgeous young lady on his arm. "Well said. I guess, I can rest easier... knowing you'll be there."

Elizabeth politely smiles and nods once before looking back in front of them. A weight can be felt pressing firmly against her chest, making it harder to breathe. Whenever she's been with Patrick it has always felt as if she's been backed into a corner, not necessarily by Patrick himself, but her father and his while Patrick watches from the sidelines. Part of her felt awful for feeling this way around him. Patrick was good to her, perfect even, but she could never grow to love certain aspects of him.

"You remember this spot?" Patrick's voice interrupts her thoughts once more. Elizabeth looks up and sees them walking towards the old wooden pier.

"How could I forget?"

Patrick picks up the speed as he drags Elizabeth towards the small pier excitedly. Elizabeth finds it hard to keep up with the same pace due to the fear of tripping over her dress and into the deep water below.

Elizabeth takes a few seconds to breathe before walking up towards Patrick, who stands right near the edge of the dock. She looks over at him briefly before looking towards the glistening water.

"Ever since we met, this spot has meant a great deal to me."

This very spot being the first place where the pair had met just two years prior. Patrick had always known he would fall in love with the girl standing next to him, and Elizabeth had always known she would be forced to fall in love with the man standing next to her.

"Elizabeth," Patrick starts and turns towards the young woman, taking her hands into his. Elizabeth watches him, completely dumbfounded. "I knew the second I laid my undeserving eyes on you, I wanted to spend the rest of my days by your side, each day growing older together and falling more in love than the day before."