VI

Elizabeth smiles down at her book as she reads deeper into her favorite story, the wind lightly blowing to help her cool down from the blazing sun shining in the sky. The decently sized hat placed on her head protects her skin from the burning rays, as well as shading a page and a half of her book. Elizabeth had always found comfort in reading while outside, it helped her focus more. If the weather was either pouring down cold and unforgiving showers or one of the shiniest of days of the year, Elizabeth found happiness in both. 

 Elizabeth frowns slightly once she feels something tugging down at the white hem of her light blue and white dress. She leans down and notices a small Mallard duck pulling at her dress. Elizabeth giggles as she closes her book and sets it down on the park bench next to her.

  "Well, hello there." Elizabeth smiles, the duck slightly becoming startled. "Oh no! It's alright!"

  Elizabeth leans over and rips off a slight piece of her croissant lunch. She smiles softly as she leans back towards the duck, holding out the soft bread.

  "Here you go, it's not much, but, I have a feeling you'll rather enjoy it." Elizabeth speaks to the small webbed footed creature.

  The duck is reluctant at first but slowly reaches it's neck towards Elizabeth's fingertips. 

  "Go on..." Elizabeth says softly, seconds later the duck finally takes the bread from her, lightly nibbling on her fingers. Elizabeth giggles to herself as she watches the young duck rush back towards the water.

  Elizabeth slightly looks up from the pond when she sees something in her top peripheral view. Her face falls once she's sees it's Patrick heading into the park. Elizabeth's blood freezes over as she looks down at her things and gathers them all up in her arms before standing to her feet. 

  Elizabeth scurries towards the exit of the park, slightly peering over her shoulder every few seconds to see if she had been noticed by Patrick. She had figured out a way to stay home instead of having dinner with him and his father by playing to be sick. 

  Patrick begins to pick up the speed in his pace, causing Elizabeth to look directly in front of her as she continues her escape. Elizabeth doesn't want to seem too suspicious or catch Patrick's wandering eyes, she just keeps her same pace as she tightly holds her book to her chest.

  Elizabeth tries to scan her surroundings for any building she could head into to try and avoid Patrick just until she does not see nor hear any sign of him. Elizabeth's eyes land on the general store.

  Without seeing any other options, Elizabeth tries to rush as normal as possible through the street towards the general store front door. The little bell rings as she quickly steps inside, she looks around and sees Arthur sweeping the floor with an old broom. Arthur looks over at her and frowns slightly once he notices the worried expression on her face. 

  "You alright...?" Arthur asks, stopping his daily cleaning routine, Elizabeth nods and fixes her posture. Arthur tilts his head slightly and narrows his vision.

  "Mhm." 

  Elizabeth leans over and looks out of the window to see Patrick walking directly towards the shop. 

  "Oh darn it!" Elizabeth quietly exclaims as she looks around the shop for any means of protection to shield herself from Patrick's view. Elizabeth's eyes land on the cash register's station. Elizabeth rushes towards it, Arthur keeping his eyes on her the entire time. 

  "Wha- What the hell are you doin'?" Arthur chuckles, placing his broom against the wall as he keeps trying to come up with any logical explanation to what she could be doing.