Guide to Mordor: Part One

This "chapter" will get you acquainted with this stories Mordor.

Part one: Regions

Region 1: Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth was always covered in the volcanic ash of Mount Doom and had no plant growth at all. Most of Sauron's armies lay in wait at Gorgoroth for their master's command. It lied at the heartland of Mordor.

Region 2: Lithlad

Lithlad was an ashen plain of Mordor, far east of Gorgoroth. The only area not covered in sand is a large area of snow in the northern part of Lithlad.

Region 3: Nurn

Núrn was a fertile and moist region located in the southernmost portion of the realm of Mordor that held the inland Sea of Nurnen.

Part two: Strongholds

Stronghold 1: Minas Morgul

Originally named Minas Ithil, Minas Morgul is the Stronghold governed by the the Witch-King and the staying place of the Nazgul. A place of dark sorcery and home of the Ithil-stone, a palantir used by the Witch-King to deceive and blind Sauron's enemies from seeing into Mordor using magical means. The Tower of Sorcery is where the Nazgul reside until called upon by Sauron himself.

 The Tower of Sorcery is where the Nazgul reside until called upon by Sauron himself

Stronghold 2: Cirith Ungol

Protected by Ungoliant and her kin, Cirith Ungol acts as Sauron's center of  intelligence. While Orcs and Uruks fill the rest of the Stronghold, Ungoliant's tower at the top house her children who leave and return with rumors and secrets about those Sauron wishes to know. Cirith Ungol was behind Minas Morgul and was where the secret pass led into.

 Cirith Ungol was behind Minas Morgul and was where the secret pass led into

Stronghold 3: Durthang

Durthang, or the "Black Temple", is home of the Black Numenoreans under Sauron's rule. Here is where the Mouth of Sauron and his disciples practice their sorcery and enchant weapons and armor for the legions of Evil Men.