Ch. 10: The Ball Pt. 2

Leinas Rockbruise sat at her table, slowly caressing the right side of her face. What once was a horribly disfigured mass of dead skin and pus, was now smooth and matched her left face. Finally, after years of living with that horrible curse it was broken. She couldn't help but to think back on how this came to be.

~Earlier~

Sauron: You want to know WHY I'm called the Dark Lord?

    Jircniv, Leinas, and Nazami all couldn't move out of pure fear. It was as if just looking at the armor itself was causing this effect. Sauron stared at the emperor, malice radiating off him.

Sauron: Because I can kill everyone here with but a wave of my finger. I control the very shadows themselves. The darkness is my domain.

    At this point the lights seem to get pulled away into Sauron's person, extinguishing and enlarging his own shadow. A cool breeze flows throughout the room and the three under his gaze shiver.

Sauron: Let me make this very clear; this blatant threat will not go unpunished. Though I will not go to war, nor kill anyone, I will take something from you. What and when will fall upon when I choose so, but know it is coming.

    The lights return and the coldness goes away.

Sauron: You may stay for the ball, but do not speak or approach me for the rest of the night. You have been warned. Go.

    Jircniv and Nazami turned and hurriedly went back to the party. Leinas tried to follow behind, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. She slowly and fearfully turned back towards the source of the hand and found Sauron back in his fair form, a small smile on his face.

Sauron: Leinas Rockbruise, I thank you.

    Leinas was confused now. Here was the Dark Lord who just threatened the emperor of the Baharuth Empire, but was now thank her for an unknown reason.

Sauron: Ah, but there is a reason.

    Leinas' eyes widened after realizing he was reading her mind.

Sauron: You knew what he was doing was stupid. You knew Jircniv's plan might backfire. Though you may not think it's that big a deal, I wish to reward you all the same.

    He then moves his hand on the shoulder to the right side of her face. He could feel the pus and cracked skin and Leinas was close to trying to stab him for touching her their. However, a warmth overtook her face as she could feel her right side mending and smoothing out. When Sauron was finished he procured a mirror out of thin air and showed her what he had done. Her curse was gone.

Leinas: The... the curse...

Sauron: A beautiful woman like you should've never been cursed that way like that. This is my gift to you. You may go now, Miss Rockbruise.

~~~~~~~~~~

    Leinas did nothing but rub her face and hold back tears of joy. Jircniv and the other knights were at the same table as her discussing what they had seen, but she wasn't listening. Suddenly, the music changed and everyone's attention turned to their host of the night stride onto the middle of the dance floor.