Chapter 29: Homeward Bound

Negotiations were settled well with the queen, and I agreed to be an ambassador for the kingdom and talk with the Hokage. The ball went by without a hitch, and we are currently on our way back to Konoha, about a day out. Haruto was still hanging onto Kiba, but refrained from making any comments about me.

We had just set up camp, and I went out hunting. I killed a few rabbits and left the skin to replenish the forest. When I came back, Haruto was being dragged to her tent by a very pissed off Hinata. I take one look and shrug my shoulders, deciding not to ask and placing the rabbits over the open fire to cook. I look to Shino as Kiba was out getting water. "Haruto made some snide comments about you and insulted you a lot. I assume Hinata got tired of it and jumped to defend you, our Captain." I nod and watch as Hinata emerges from the tent, an angry expression on her face. "You good Hina?" She jumps and smiles. "Yeah, just got a little frustrated at the client Nothing to be super worried about though." "Alright just take care of yourself. A couple minutes later Kiba comes back with filled canteens and Shino offers to take some water to Haruto.

I pass out the food once Shino gets back, and we eat quietly, until Hinata decides to speak up. "Neh, Akahana," I look over to her. "How do you deal with all of the negativity you receive from others?" I purse my lips. "Well, I wasn't always able to. Not all of the scars on my wrists are from training, not that I'm like that anymore. Anyways, I guess you just get used to it, you learn how to ignore it or block it out because you have people whose opinions truly matter. If it is someone close, well, I just hope you never have to deal with anything I had to." She nods. "It takes time, and a lot of patience, but everything has a meaning or motive behind it. Like for example, I can tell Haruto is really just jealous. Of what? I don't know, but from how she acted when her friends complimented me showed that, as well as the soft spot I could see that she has for her friends. Not everyone is how they appear, as Shinobi, we should know that. Especially since we, or you, put on fake persona's on the daily for an advantage during battles." They nod and Kiba puts an arm over my shoulders, pulling me into his side. I cuddle into him, watching the fire as it crackles.

Hinata and Shino look at each other and nod. "We are going to go patrol. Be back soon." I smile and nod. "Alright, flare your chakra if you need us." They nod and vanish into the trees. I kiss Kiba's cheek softly and cuddle into him as the chilling night air grows colder. "I hate fall." He chuckles. "And why is that?" "The weather is bi-polar. Nice during the day, but frigid at night." He laughs and runs his fingers through my hair.

"I guess that makes sense. If you reach into my bag, there is something that should help. I got it for you while you were out with Hinata. I knew you would like it." I reach over and open his bag, and pull out a large black parcel. When I unfold it I could tell it was a large black cloak. It has fur lining the inside and it was very soft. I run my fingers over the intricate gold lining across the hood. "How much was this?" He chuckles. "Don't worry about that sweetheart. How come here, I know your freezing." He was on top of his sleeping mat, leaning against a tree. I sit down in between his knees and leaned onto his chest.

He shuffles to pull my cloak over me before resting both of his hands on the small of my back. I relaxed to the even sound of his heartbeat, softly thumping inside his chest. I feel myself growing drowsy and Kiba begins running his fingers through my hair, adding another wave of tiredness. I yawn and try to keep my eyes open. "Just sleep sweetheart. I'll wake you if anything happens." His voice rumbled in his chest.

I nod sleepily, and let the soft thumping of his heart and the gentle tugs on my hair lull my swiftly into the dreamworld.