Chapter 1

Tomioka Giyu was a man of his word.

He was one to keep his promises, and his loyalty runs ever so deep. It was not difficult for him to lay his life down if it meant keeping his promises, if it meant he would protect the ones he cared the most.

So surely, surely, he'd be allowed to keep his promise once more.

'I'll...protect you.'

He knew he was simply being naïve, because in this world their lives are held by the thin threads of fate. Yet, he made that promise, coming from the bottom of his heart that, surely, he'd have the power to protect this child.

This was within his limitations, right?

But as he ran, he felt the heavy burden weighing him down. As fast as he could, as far as he could...yet he knew,

This was not enough.

This will never be enough, he will never be enough, because as he arrived closer to the village, closer to the smell of burning wood and rotting corpses, closer to the ashes he could have mistaken for snow, he knew,

I'm too late.

There were no screams, no cries for help, no nothing.

Simply fire and silence.

Giyu slowly came to a stop, looking around the area which was once the village he loved, destroyed and burning before his eyes. Eyes wide and fearful, he could only drop to his knees, unused sword clattering to the floor.

Yet he did not cry as he looked to the ground, turning away from the faces that he recognized so well, laying still in eternal slumber.

Because tears won't bring back the dead.

He slowly raised himself from the ground, picking up his sword and sheathing it back onto his side. He turned to make his leave, preparing himself to report the worst once he arrived back home.

Then, in some sort of blessed miracle, there was sound.

The sound of a crying child.

Fuji-!

There was no hesitation in his steps as he rushed around the village, hastily looking all over to find the source of the cry. His breathes were irregular, hope filling his lungs as he cried out the name which he cherished most.

"Fuji!"

He continued to run around the village, feeling himself come closer to the sole survivor of this terrible calamity.

"Help..."

Giyu stopped in his tracks, turning to face the pile of burnt wood and rubble, watching as the items moved slightly from a force below.

"Help...please..."

With one swift movement, the male was clearing out the wood in an instant. His hands had formed blisters from the action, but he could care less about the injuries when he was finally given the chance to save someone.

"Fuj-"

But as he picked up the last piece of rubble, he felt his eyes hardening at the sight of the child before him. Silently trembling, their arms and legs were covered in burns from the fire, raven locks disheveled as the tips looked to be burned.

But at that moment, he could not care whether they were injured, whether the child's entire figure was trembling with widened eyes.

Because this,

This child isn't Fuji.

-------------------------
Word count: 528

Chapter status: renewed [7/15/2022]

Thank you for reading ^^