Chapter 3

I should have never saved you...

Why do you get to live, when we all died that day!?

What could you even do? Your survival means nothing.

You'd be better off...

Dead.

---------------

Koharu wasn't one to dream.

But as she woke that morning, forehead dripping with sweat as her erratic breathes filled the silence, she couldn't help but begin to cry.

She buried her teary eyes into the soft blanket that she was provided, unsuspecting of the unknown environment in her hysterical state. She muffled her cries as best as she could, pushing her face deeper into the thick cloth until she felt she couldn't breathe.

Am I...even allowed to live right now?

Her sobs soon turned into hiccups, regretfully wiping her face into the blanket as she stared down at her hands, hands that were too alive for their own good. Her chest wouldn't stop hurting, and as she clutched her shirt in pain, she could only remember the face that has come to haunt her.

"You're...not Fuji."

It could be read on his face so clearly, it could be read on his mouth that was pressed into a thin line, and it could be read in his eyes, which glowered coldly at her figure.

I'm sorry I wasn't Fuji.

Koharu threw the blanket onto the side, placing her head on top of her knees as she raised her arms above her head, covering her ears in an attempt to battle the silence.

I'm sorry I was the only one left.

Her clothes had remained to be the same, tattered and seared at the edges, small holes decorating the entirety of the outfit. She could remember the flowers beginning to burn, the sweet smell of the herbs contrasting the burning sensation that had spread all over her body. As she leaned closer to her shirt, she could still get a whiff of the sweet fragrance.

Perhaps burning in a field of flowers would suffice.

Before she could mull over her demise any longer, the sound of an opening shoji brought her attention to the entrance, watching silently as a figure opened and closed the doors.

It was still late into the night, so she could barely make out the face of the presumed intruder, but she could care less to be aware of the stranger before her. As the figure approached her, they seemed to flinch back in surprise at her awakened state, approaching once more as they saw Koharu made no attempt to move.

"I see you're awake."

The voice spoke softly, a feminine tone to her words. Koharu could only nod her head in response, not trusting her voice to work in the middle of the night.

The figure made their way over to her side, allowing Koharu to barely make out what they looked like in the dark. The figure looked female, wearing a haori which looked to be in a butterfly pattern. Her hair was tied up with a butterfly pin, strands of hair framing her face on the sides.

And...she was smiling.

The female slowly patted Koharu's head, bringing her head back down onto the pillow of the futon she was previously laying on, bringing the discarded blanket above her form.

"Sleep for now, you must be very tired."

Koharu was in no place to refuse, so she let her eyes close once more, entering the abyssal land of dreams.

-------------------------
Word count: 567

Chapter status: renewed [7/15/2022]

Thank you for reading ^^