Chapter 10

"Koharu will continue to be left under the care of Kocho Shinobu and be trained under the instruction of Tomioka Giyu."

----------

If she hadn't pinched herself the first few million times, she would have kept hoping she was still dreaming.

"I don't...think I am able to."

The utter disgust felt within Koharu's heart was unfathomable. She had buried her entire body under the covers once she had gotten back home, not responding to anyone who had come by to check on her. Quiet tears slipped down her cheeks, wetting the side of her futon.

"That is alright, Iwasaki-san."

No, it was far was being alright.

How could she simply forget --- after all those nightmares, the scenes and voices that have been engraved since the day of her rescue.

Forgotten? In that singular instance?

She had forced herself to fall asleep soon after, forced herself to dream, anything that could help her regain the memories from the event. She couldn't care about whether it was haunting voices or rewinding images inside endless nightmares.

But nothing.

A simple void in her mind, getting darker and fuzzier the deeper she attempted to remember. The last words of her mother were no longer clear, and the screams were as faint as a singular hallucination, as if there but not.

She had never felt so disgusted with herself.

"Under the instruction of Tomioka Giyu."

She was too preoccupied in the moment to register what Oyakata had said, only realizing who she had been assigned to train with the moment they all left for their respectable homes, the face of a certain male darkening since the beginning of the meeting.

Tomioka Giyu.

It was truly a curse upon a curse.

Not only could she not remember the disastrous event, but her sole savior was also there to witness her hesitation, her failure.

She was sure his hatred for her had grown tenfold, if not by a million times more.

She was simply doomed since the beginning.

There was no day to wait for her training, as she was instructed to begin her sessions the dawn after tomorrow. She could taste the bitterness within her.

Before she could further contemplate upon her demise, a soft knock was heard from the door. Koharu was once again unresponsive, but the person had invited themselves into the room before she even had the chance to utter a word.

"Are you asleep Koharu-chan?"

Koharu opted to stay silent, the familiar voice of the female before her sitting herself at the edge of her futon. Pretending to be asleep, the girl lay unmoving, waiting for the adult to continue speaking.

"I know it's hard for you right now." The voice started, slightly muffled due to the layers of blankets above Koharu. "And I would like to help you out as much as I can."

"I'll be asking Oyakata-sama to switch your mentors. You'll be far for comfortable training with me, yes?"

The girl in question said nothing in response, and the female before her seemed to take it as her own interpretation of "yes."

She then felt a slight movement, her futon slightly shifting as the female rose from the futon. She could hear the woman's steps, slowly and steadily leaving the room with her final statement.

Perhaps this was where Koharu should have stopped her. Perhaps this was where her courage and bravery would take control, jumping out from the layers of blankets and shouting a refusal.

"No, it's okay. I'll be fine with training with Tomioka-san."

Koharu was never one for bravery, however.

And the words were simply left unspoken.

-------------------------
Word count: 602

Chapter status: renewed [7/29/2022]

Thank you for reading ^^